Avoiding College Blues

Try These 5 Tips To Avoid The Dreaded College Blues This Upcoming Semester

"It's not the load that breaks you down, it's how you carry it" -Lou Holtz

122

Let's face it, college is stressful. No matter how easygoing you are, sometimes classes, work, and your personal life just seem to all go wrong at the same time and you get stressed out. So while studying late in the library for that test at 8 a.m., keep these 5 stress relieving tips in mind to keep yourself sane.

1. Avoid procrastination

https://unsplash.com/photos/BY34glOW7wA

I know. I know. Sometimes procrastination can't be helped, especially in college. However, if you know that huge project for that class you hate is due in two weeks, try and get a jump start on it early. That way, you can do it little by little over time, not get stressed out, and have it done on time. Also, you could finish the project early and not have to do multiple all-nighters the week that it's due.

2. Call your mom

Emily Skane

Nobody knows you better than your mom. Whether it's just asking her how her day is going to take your mind off your work or telling her about your work and asking her thoughts, talking to your mom is a great way to relieve your stress. Plus it'll make her smile when you call.

3. Look at pictures of cute dogs

https://unsplash.com/photos/2BtYO-pHwyI

Tiny dogs, big dogs, fluffy dogs, dogs with sweaters on, old dogs, young dogs, it doesn't matter. Whether its a late night in the library, an early morning class, or the longest shift ever at work, taking a minute to look at cute dog pictures online is a quick and easy way to instantly brighten your mood.

4. Go outside

https://unsplash.com/photos/Ys85uMksDHc

Hug a tree. Wiggle your toes in the grass. Throw a frisbee. Going outside and breathing in the fresh air even just for a few minutes really clears your head.

5. Remember this is all temporary

https://unsplash.com/photos/z1d-LP8sjuI

Sometimes you can get so wrapped up in your classes that it's hard to realize that someday that D+ in chemistry won't matter. That doesn't mean you shouldn't try as hard, but keep that in mind.

At the end of the day, the only person that ultimately stresses you out the most is yourself. Sometimes it's hard to break out of the cycle of endless stress in college, especially when you're taking difficult classes or working. But incorporating these 5 tips into your daily routine can really save you from those long nights in the library!