A Thank You Letter To My College Best Friends

The biggest blessing college has given me.

4
Isabel Guerrero

College.

I know, scary, right? That's exactly what I thought six months ago. Coming to college was the biggest change for me. Between barely knowing anyone, not knowing my way around, and having very little confidence in this "thing" working out, I didn't think the whole college experience was for me. Thankfully, I was able to meet some really great people who I now call some of my closest friends. This one's for them.

To My College Best Friends,

When I think back to our first impressions of each other, they probably were a little something like this, "How on earth could I possibly be friends, much less get along, with this crazy person?" Well, it seems to be that our amount of crazy matched up perfectly. Thankfully, we didn't let our first impressions get in the way of friendship.

There's so many things I could thank you for, but that could take up more than one article. Here's just a few.

Thank you for the endless encouragement. Sometimes, after a long day, you just need someone to tell you that they believe in you and know you are capable of anything you set your mind to. College can be hard and scary and difficult, but having a little sideline support gets you through it. Whether it's helping each other study or sending uplifting texts, it's the little things that keep you going.

Thank you for being genuinely interested in my life. You ask about my day, how I'm doing, or what my family is up to. It can be hard not knowing anyone and not having someone to share how things are going with. I appreciate that you truly do care about my life and everything in it.

Thank you for making me go out of my comfort zone. Whether this means making a goal of talking to one new person a week, trying something crazy, or even going on a late night adventure, you've helped me grow so much. College is a time to break out of your shell and you have definitely helped me do that.

Thank you for being my emotional support. In our short time here at college, you've probably seen just as many tears as my friends from back home did throughout all of high school. Thank you for reminding me that things will be OK and giving me the hugs and advice I needed. I appreciate the never-ending venting sessions. (And by venting, I mean you listening to me talk about how stressful life can be. Sorry!)

Thank you for not judging my decisions; past or present. Meeting someone new and opening up can be incredibly terrifying. "Will they like me? Will they think I'm weird? Will they frown upon my decisions? Will they even care?" So many of these things go through our heads. But, I've been lucky enough to have been accepted for who I am, flaws and all, thanks to you.

Thank you for being the friends I needed. Like I said, the transition to college can be tough. Thanks to you I've survived (so far) and I'm so glad I've had you by side to get through it.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I've learned a lot in these past few months, and I owe a lot of that to you. I can't even begin to say how thankful I am to have met each and every one of you. College has definitely been a crazy ride for all of us. Between adjusting to the independence, workload and overall "experience," we've been there to support each other for all of it. We've come a along way, and I know that we'll all continue to grow throughout our journey here.

These next few months may be tough, but I know that we're strong enough to make it through them together. Here's to the many more memories and laughs that come along with them!

Love,

Cheyenne