An Open Letter to My Mom as I begin to leave for College

I will miss you the most

249

Mom,

To my best friend from the very beginning, there’s so much I could say in this letter that it would take me days to write, so I’m gonna do my best to give you the short version.

Growing up, you were the best parent you could be. From teaching me from such a young age how to be compassionate, forgiving, hardworking, and most of all to love God I cannot thank you enough for how you raised me.

Sure, we used to get in fights but what teenage girl doesn’t with their parents. Up until a certain point you were always a parent, guiding me through life while I was trying to figure out how to guide through it myself. As I’ve gotten older I’ve only realized more how good of a job you did.

I may not tell you enough but I wouldn’t be who I am today if it wasn’t for you. You always supported me in my dreams no matter what they were. From trying who knows how many sports, to helping buy my first horse you never once complained. You helped me find what I was passionate about and were always there every step of the way.

As I get closer to graduation and starting my own life I only hope you know that you are truly the person I credit most into getting me where I am today. You were always my shoulder to cry on, my biggest fan, and most of all my best friend.

We’ve been through the ups and the downs of life together and even though I know you’ll always just be a phone call away, the thought of having to do everything without you next year scares me.

As I embark on my life, I hope you take the time to slow down and enjoy yours. For 18 years you’ve put my life before yours and I know you still will, I just hope you get a chance to leave out the dreams you’ve never been able to. You deserve the whole world and if I could give it to you I would, but sadly life doesn’t work that way.

Four months left together and I intend to make the best of it. No matter where life takes both of us, I hope you rest assured that you have been the biggest blessing and the best mom I could’ve asked for. Our adventures are far from over, even if my journey is just beginning.

Not seeing you everyday will just make it 10 times better when I do come home to visit. I know letting go is hard but just know that you’ve prepared me the best you can for life on my own. You’re the person I look up to the most and I hope one day I’m half the mother that you were.

Here’s to the next couple months and the rest of my future, I love you forever and ever.

Love,

Your Daughter