Why Everyone Should Collect Records

Why Everyone Should Collect Records

If you are not already a collector, you are depriving yourself of an experience!

37
Why Everyone Should Collect Records

There is nothing better than the sweet crackle of a vinyl record as it spins out a classic song. There are so many reasons that listening to vinyl enriches your life, and now is the perfect time to start collecting because of the recent comeback of the record into the music industry. If the nostalgia isn't enough to convince you, here are some more reasons why collecting vinyl is the best.

Shopping for vinyl is an experience.

Every shop has character, as the owner has worked hard to get the best collection available for customers. Not only are there records, but often memorabilia from so many of your favorite artists. Its like taking a trip back in time. Make sure that you have a couple of hours, because you will want to shuffle through every stack of vinyl in the shop just to find the perfect album to add to your collection. There is a feeling of community in every shop, because everyone there has the same interest and understands that passion for the hobby. You may even find someone who has the same taste in music and can help you find the best place to get the album you have been searching for everywhere.

Buying vinyl feels more fulfilling than purchasing an MP3.

You have the music in your hand, and can see the grooves that will translate to John Lennon’s voice singing you into the 60’s. It is not a file on a computer that can only be heard. And that investment you made when you bought the record can be returned later when you find another vinyl lover who has been searching for the album you found in an old thrift shop. Even if you choose not to sell any of your collection because you have become too attached to the memories associated with when they were bought or what was happening when they were played, you can pass them down to your children to enjoy and make more memories with. I have received several records from my parents and grandparents and it makes them all the more valuable to me. They go a lot further than the file you can buy from Itunes.

Listening to vinyl sounds better than through computer speakers.

The analog format causes less distortion to happen that will be created in the process of sound editing that labels use for the downloads on your device. Music these days is compressed in order to make the correct format to play through smaller speakers or broadcast through airwaves. This process causes the track to lose details that would be heard if played on a record player. Vinyl sounds exactly how the band or artist intended when the track was immediate created. You lose no details, which creates a full sound from the artist. Also, you can't go wrong with the warm, nostalgic crackle that can be heard underneath the main track.

Choosing vinyl helps you develop into a more cultured member of society.

There is no way that I would have ended up listening to The Mamas and the Papas had my grandpa not handed me the record from his collection one day. And I would have been missing out. There have been albums I just bought for the cover, and then fell in love with the artist. I have learned about history and all of the different types of genres that are available from all times. Now, not only do I get to experience Sam Smith’s “In the Lonely Hour” album in a different way than ever before, but also the Beatles, Glen Miller, Boston, and so many more. Artists are expressed through the sleeve that the records come in, and what color and size of a record that the album comes on. You receive a total art experience through choosing to collect vinyl.

Collecting records has been one of the best passions I have found. It is less of a musical experience and more of a people experience. Listeners are able to connect to the artist in a way that is not found through downloading a file. There is no better way to experience the past than to listen to an old album that has been passed down by your ancestors. Save the culture, collect vinyl.