Colin Kaepernick Nike Ad

America Is Mad At Nike For Choosing Kaepernick, But We Should All Be Making The Same Choice

People are burning shoes to show they care about America...

172
kaepernick

America, what the hell? Why is it that when something related to Kaepernick happens, we go into a panic? Last Monday, Nike revealed that they made former Niners QB, Colin Kaepernick, the frontman of the 30th anniversary of their famous slogan "Just Do It." Kaepernick has been the source of controversy ever since he started to kneel during the national anthem to protest against police brutality and racial injustice. Kaepernick first hinted at the campaign with a teaser on his Instagram. The caption read "Believe in something. Even if it means sacrificing everything." This teaser alone set the country into a chaotic spiral, forcing those who are against Kaepernick to do the absolute worst thing possible.

colin kaepernick

For some reason, people think that burning Nike gear will fix whatever is happening in this situation. Unfortunately, the same people who are burning stuff are the same people who helped Nike become an empire by buying their apparel in the first place.

To make matters worse, America's favorite instigator, Donald Trump, is already reveling in the Nike backlash on the topic tweeting "Just like the NFL, whose ratings have gone WAY DOWN, Nike is getting absolutely killed with anger and boycotts. I wonder if they had any idea that it would be this way? As far as the NFL is concerned, I just find it hard to watch, and always will, until they stand for the FLAG!"

This feud with the president and football has been going on ever since he stepped into office. With his lack of knowledge about social change and his ignorance to even look into it, Trump has once again added fuel to the fire by inserting his comments on the subject. Aside from Trump, there are still people of greater stature who are defending Kaepernick. People who in the same exact ad with Kaepernick.

Serena Williams

Superstars like Serena Williams and LeBron James, who are also sponsored by Nike, have been fighting the same fight Kaepernick has for many years. But for some reason, their work doesn't get as much backlash as Kaepernick does. Keep in mind that those who are easily invoked by his actions are only doing this to feel inclusive and to hinder a needed cause. For some reason, there's a bigger target for black athletes, and whatever they support. Even if it's for the better progression of this great country.

Even earlier this year, Fox News' Laura Ingraham told LeBron James to shut up and dribble. And told the world that she refused to receive political views from "someone who gets paid $100 Million to bounce a ball." And how could we forget the time when Trump called LeBron unintelligent merely a month ago, right after LeBron built a school? These instant desires to divide is what's tearing this country apart. Serena Williams can't even wear a cool catsuit during a match because of the need to body-shame and tennis's pervasive approach to apparel. Nike also contributed to this subject by simply saying, "You can take the superhero out of her costume, but you can never take away her superpowers."

Kaeprnick

But let us get back to Kaepernick. There's still a blatant sign that Kaepernick is getting blackballed by the NFL, and if you don't believe me, refer to this Instagram post by the Buffalo Bills... Yep, Nathan *bleepin* Peterman is going to be starting in the NFL this Sunday, something a Super Bowl QB like Colin Kaepernick should be looking forward to. But alas, when there's change in such a conservative sport, it gets shot down immediately. Football is America's favorite sport, and it perfectly reflects what's going on in our country. Rich superiors leaching off the backs various players from different backgrounds to please their bank accounts.

Nike did the best thing ever. Pushing the boundaries to send a message, something everyone who is a true American should do. Kaepernick is that true American, sacrificing everything because he believed in something. There will people out there who refuse to accept that they're on the wrong side of history, but they will soon see that their beliefs are contradicting what is right. They think Kap's dream crazy because it hasn't been done yet.