"How To Be Social" with Julia Cooper '17

Meet Colgate Odyssquad's Social Media Director

13
Julia Cooper

The Colgate Odyssquad is an elite task force of passionate writers, comprised of all class years, cliques, clubs, and cohorts. Established in August 2015, our team has worked hard to achieve journalistic integrity and bring unheard voices to the forefront of our small community and share their words across the world wide web. Welcome to the Writer Showcase Series, where we introduce you to our staff the best way we know how - in 500 words.

DM: Origin story, go.

JC: I'm from Martha's Vineyard, but I usually just tell people I'm from Massachusetts.

DM: What about your life at Colgate?

JC: To start, I'm majoring in Spanish Language & Literature and minor in Linguistics. People always ask me what my plan is with such a niche field of study...,my game plan is to move to a big city and give being comedy writer my best shot while learning about beer and coffee and the human condition. Who knows where I'll end up? Life’s wild. But back to my Colgate life: I participate in Greek Life, am a captain of our Women’s Ultimate Frisbee team, work on the Colgate Activities Board, dance with Kuumba, and work as a Social Media Intern - catch me tweeting @colgateuniv.

DM: What do you love about Colgate?

JC: I love that everyone seems to genuinely want the best for their peers. In my experience everyone pushes each other to be the best versions of themselves without needless stress and competition.

DM: How long have you been a member of the Odyssquad and what do you love about it?

JC: I joined Odyssey while I was abroad in Madrid during the Fall semester of 2015. I love being an Odyssey Creator because it's fun being forced to be creative and thoughtful for at least 500 words every week. I always enjoy learning about what my peers are passionate about while sharing my own passions with them.

DM: What's your favorite thing you've written for Odyssey?

Either something totally Colgate specific like Crisis in the Coop and Halloween Costumes for Colgate Students or Best Stand Up Comedy Specials on Netflix.

What's your favorite thing you've read on Odyssey?

Honestly everything Chris Higham wrote. I have a very public social media crush on him.

DM: What do you want to see others write for Odyssey?

JC: I want more contributions to the humor category! From myself too.

DM: What's something that makes you excited about life in general?

JC: Ultimate Frisbee, coffee, laughing, making other people laugh.

DM: Anything else you think people should know about you? Fun facts? Crazy stories? Deep, dark secrets?

JC: I have a lot of useless knowledge that I've gained from various retail jobs. I can tell you the style number of your RayBans from across the room.

Read Julia’s articles here and follow her hilarious posts on Twitter.
To request an invitation to the Colgate Odyssquad, follow this link.