The Magic Of April's AMS Event

The Magic Of April's AMS Event

Why I chose to come to Colgate, in brief.

20
The Magic Of April's AMS Event
Denise Larson

Approximately two years ago, I decided to enroll at Colgate after my first visit to campus. Unfortunately, I didn’t commit to that decision until 30 minutes after we had left, so I couldn’t buy my Colgate t-shirt for college t-shirt day from the bookstore. It took me until I drove away to be sure for a couple of reasons, one being that before my visit I didn’t think I’d like Colgate at all. Nevertheless, it was college decision crunch time, so I came for an overnight program hosted by the Alumni Memorial Scholar’s program I’d been accepted to.

I had a fabulous visit, even though I spent the night in the library while my host finished compiling a final video project for her existentialism class. While I could recount every single detail of that night, because I remember it well, I won’t do that; I’ll just say that the primary reason I decided to go to Colgate was because after that night I could tell that Colgate had boundless opportunities in store for me. From exciting research projects to close relationships with professors to running on a team, I knew I was about to embark upon a dynamic four years.

I reflect upon this now because this weekend I’m hosting a prospective AMS student who is doing the same overnight program that changed the trajectory of my life. It feels like forever ago that I was in her shoes, and I’m so excited for her, especially if she decides to come here. In some ways, it’ll be exactly what she expects, and in others, it won’t be what she expects at all.

For example, the food will not be nearly as good as the dinner that she’ll be served. Yeah, that’s kind of unfortunate, as I’ve spent the past two years searching for that medium-rare filet mignon and decadent twice-baked cheesecake that definitely swayed my opinion that much further, but one can get over the food being different than advertised.

For another example, the people she’ll meet will be even more kind and caring than one night can reveal. I still maintain the most random relationships from that night, and my support systems have exponentially grown from that one random admissions officer and that one random professor I happened to encounter.

While my time at Colgate hasn’t been all sunshine and rainbows, I couldn’t be happier that I decided to come here, and it’s all because of the amazing overnight program put on by AMS and the wonderful people who made time in their busy schedules to make it happen. And I know that was no small sacrifice because I have four papers that won’t write themselves that are not being written on Sunday night. I feel it’s more important for me to be there in the same way people were there for me before I even decided to come here.

Getting ready to go into my junior year, I don’t wish I were back in the shoes of a prospective student. However, I hope I can communicate to that prospective student that there’s a pair of shoes here that only she can fill. And that those shoes will take her exactly where she needs to go.