Do You Like Coffee But Get Heartburn? Try Cold Brew!

Do You Like Coffee But Get Heartburn? Try Cold Brew

As a sufferer of heartburn, I have found that drinking cold brew coffee does not give me heartburn like regular coffee or espresso does.

63

I am an avid coffee drinker and I drink at least four or five cups a day despite the recommended daily value of caffeine. In addition to being a coffee-lover, I also suffer from heartburn almost daily due to a hiatal hernia that I have. Typically, coffee causes some wicked heartburn for me, but I have found a remedy that doesn't involve giving up that cup of joe.

GIPHY GIPHY

I recently decided to give cold brew coffee a try to see what all of the hubbub was about. After trying it, I found that my heartburn was not nearly as bad if I would have it all. After doing some research, I found that I was not imagining things, but that cold brew coffee is not nearly acidic as regular coffee or espresso. This is because of the process that is used to make cold brew.

Typically, when coffee is brewed, the heat of the water causes the coffee to turn more acidic and bitter. However, cold brew does not involve the heating of water in the slightest. Instead, the process involves steeping coffee grounds in cold water for 10 to 20 hours. By allowing the grounds to steep in this way, the coffee becomes smoother, richer, and less acidic, which is great for sensitive tummies.

If you have a sensitive stomach or strong acid reflux, give cold brew a try; especially if you are sick of watered down iced coffee. You will be pleasantly surprised by both the flavor and the effects this coffee has on the stomach.

Cold brew coffee also does not have to come from an overpriced shop like Starbucks. You can make your own cold brew at home if you have the patience or buy it pre-made from any grocery store. My personal favorite is Stok Cold Brew Coffee: Not Too Sweet. Coupled with some flavored cream, this coffee will have both your mind and stomach singing happy tunes for the day.