Coffee and Patents for a Living

Coffee and Patents for a Living

In which Arianna and Gabe start their real life jobs

12
Coffee and Patents for a Living
Genovo

Click here for Chapter Four.

Working

I hit 'okay' on my alarm as I plug in my toothbrush and put away my comb. I take one last look at myself in the mirror. Cream blouse with three inch sleeves, white blazer, a black slacks with tan flats, a watch, and a thin necklace.

Last night, we figured out how to set the coffeemaker to be done by the time we were ready to go. I toast a piece of wheat bread and top it with a banana, peanut butter, and honey, watching the coffee percolate as I scramble eggs. I make enough for Gabe, too, and set them on a plate for him. I pour myself ice water and sit down to eat, with the paper in front of me, The Tribune. As I suck on the last piece of ice, Gabe comes into the kitchen, fixing his tie with immense concentration.

“You made eggs,” he smiles at me gratefully. “What's going on in the world?”

“Sarah Palin’s daughter had another kid.”

He laughs, “Want more water?”

“Sure.”

He refills my glass and sits down with his plate after making himself toast.

“Anything happening in foreign affairs?”

“Apparently Switzerland’s just been found in the Panama Papers.”

He looks surprised but nods, “So are you ready?”

I nod--I’m excited.

Once we’re both done, we fill travel mugs with coffee and lock up. It’s 7:05.

Traffic isn't terrible on the way to Hollins Corp. The main lobby is calm when I arrive, but I know it’ll be bustling when we open at 8:45.

The receptionist, whose placard says Rita Hamm, is texting when I approach.

“Can you please tell me what floor Shannon Sinclair’s office is on?”

“Fourth,” she says without looking up.

I'm alone with my thoughts in the elevator as I ascend.

The first office I see says Zahra Kent on the door. Finally, at the end of the hall, is Shannon Sinclair.

I push open the door and what greets me is a surprise. The electric blue walls are covered in art and sayings. A pretty gold couch sits across from a white desk where a black girl in a green dress sits typing on a MacBook Pro. There are bookshelves around the couch and shelves perched above the desk.

The girl watches something print and when she's collected it she smiles at me, “You must be Arianna. I'm Grayson. Nice to meet you. Shannon’s running a few minutes late but she’ll be here shortly. While we're waiting I have some papers for you.”

“Nice to meet you, too,” I approach the desk. Grayson holds out a thick file with the company logo embedded on it.

Gabriel

Aaron points out the break room, copiers, and executive inboxes.

“So that's everything, Kid,” Aaron says smugly when we reach my desk again. He’s only two years older than me and he didn't finish college but he's the "Head Honcho” of the newbies in his own mind. There is a sheaf of papers on my desk, with a green Post-It on the very top.

I sit down and read the bullets Savannah, Violet’s assistant, wrote out.

Reply to Dionne Arnold’s budget inquiry. Submit paperwork to appropriate officials in town by 4 (some use couriers/fax). Review Kasich’s inquiry about Pillsbury, report to Violet by 4.

I open my email to read Dionne’s message, hoping Aaron will get the hint.

To Whom It May Concern

I would appreciate an update on the budget for advertising Hillside ReUpped.

What funds are being allocated where?

~Dionne Arnold

Dionne’s game Hillside ReUpped is about Los Angeles teenagers who want to turn their parents into yes men using chemistry. Focus groups that were run before I arrived didn't give reassuring ratings so we’ll have to allocate a good chunk of money to hyping up the game with trailers and merchandise. Upon reviewing the initial budget, Violet’s point person Skye developed I email Dionne the budget with a lot of schmoozing to ice what is sure to be a bruise to her ego.

I have to take the last of the paperwork down to the patent office myself.

“How can I help you?” A chesty blonde girl smiles too enthusiastically at me and I can't help but think of Arianna, when she worked in Student Affairs freshman year. Of course she didn't come off as a flirt, something this girl clearly aims to be.

“I need to file a patent for Raiders of Memphis please.”

She nods and I wonder what Arianna’s opinions on pierogies are.

She takes the paperwork from me and disappears into the back.

A guy comes back ten minutes later with the receipts and other papers,

“Sorry man, she’s new.”

I shrug, understanding. With that done, I return to the office.

Violet smiles at me as I shut her door. Savannah sets her legal pad aside and sips the water in front of her.

“I take it everything’s done?” Violet asks.

“Yes ma’am.”

“Great,” she smiles, “The patent went through alright? Sometimes they’re time consuming.”

“It was fine,” I say. “I let Mr. Kasich’s office know that our end is done. Joanie said he’ll be calling tomorrow most likely.”

“Did she seem happy?”

“She was indifferent, but I think Mr. Kasich will agree with what Savannah and I did.”

“Wonderful. Before you go, there’s a staff meeting tomorrow morning at nine.”

“Ok.”

I arrive before Arianna and get the food done.

She smiles at me as she gets silverware out, “it smells great in here.”

“I hope you like pierogies.”

“I've never had them. They sound good, though.”

We eat and talk for a while before turning in around 10:30.