My Experience Becoming A CNA

Becoming A CNA Increased My Interest In The Medical Field

The CNA program taught me valuable lessons that I shall continue to use throughout my future career as a healthcare worker.

141
Madison Lucille

I feel like we all have a moment in our lives that make us think: Wow, this is really what

I want to do and for me, it was about one week after my CNA clinics. I remember it specifically because one of my favorite patients who were unable to speak gave me a great big smile, leaned in, and rested her forehead against mine as a way of saying thank you for bringing her a glass of water. Even though it was a simple task, she was so appreciative of me dedicating my time in order for her to feel better.

That's what's so great about working in the medical field. It is such a rewarding and humbling experience because, in order to take care of people, you are required to put your own problems aside and deal with theirs even if they are very simple. I wouldn't have learned any of this if I hadn't applied for the nursing fundamentals course in my high school and had been accepted. My interest in the health field was heightened by my CNA class because of my relationships with patients and my ability to exceed by practicing.

Seeing my patients every morning at the nursing home never failed to put a smile on my face. Yes they could be cranky in the morning and yes they could be rude at times but once they realized I was trying to help their mood improved significantly. They knew I was not a fan of assisting them to the bathroom or giving them a bed bath but I remained patient and considerate of how they felt in order to get the job done. I remember being so nervous the first day I walked into a patient's room only to ask them if the needed anything but once I saw how sweet and admirable they were I calmed my nerves and continued with my work.

They shared stories with me that usually started with the phrase "when I was your age" and told me all about their families. But there were also others that couldn't talk even though you could tell how much they wanted to. That was when I had to take a step back in order to listen to what they were trying to tell me. Usually, grunts or small whimpers meant they were in pain or uncomfortable and when they were happy or sleepy they would let out soft sies. Even though they were unable to speak, I was able to figure out so much about them by observing them cautiously to figure out what care they were in need of. The relationships I developed through this program we're unforgettable and they continue to inspire me about working in the medical field.

Before going into clinics, we had to learn physical skills and be able to perform them in front of the teacher which was absolutely terrifying for me. It wasn't as scary for everyone else but whenever I performed my skills my hands would shake so hard that once I actually dropped a glass thermometer and broke it. One day (after crying because I failed my blood pressure test) my good friend Hailey gave me some memorable advice. She told me that I was great at memorization when it came to schoolwork because I read the homework so many times until I knew it by heart.

She said I should apply that to my physical tests so I won't be nervous at all. Well thankfully after giving it a try it finally worked! I practiced and practiced until my muscle memory kicked in and I didn't even have to think when I performed my skills. I learned that we all have something that can affect our learning whether it's our nerves or something different. Even though they can get in our way at times we must work around these problems in order to be successful. This is a valuable lesson that I learned after enrolling in the CNA course because I had to face my fears in order to keep striving for what I want.

As difficult as it could be, never once when I stepped into that nursing home did I not want to be there. I got the amazing opportunity to help people with important tasks which gave me the true sensation of being a healthcare worker. I am happy to say that I am now enrolled in college and I am planning to major in nursing. I am so happy that I am able to work towards my dream job and living my best life.