If You Don't Want To Give Up Your High School Sport Or Play At The Collegiate Level, A Club Team Is The Best Of Both Worlds

You can play the sport you love and still experience everything college has to offer.

61
Camryn Smith

If you're like me and have played one sport for as long as you can remember and always said "I want to be a professional (insert sport here) player when I grow up," then you probably always figured you would end up playing that sport at the collegiate level. At least I did.

I have played soccer since I was about 3 or 4 years old and haven't stopped since. This sport has carried me through my elementary, middle, and high school years and is still doing so now that I am a sophomore in college. Throughout my adolescence, I always assumed I would end up playing soccer in college. It was how I identified myself. It was how I made most of my closest friends. Without soccer, I honestly did not know who I was. I woke up in the morning planning to go to practice later on. I went to bed at night thinking about the game I had the next day. I played travel soccer all year round until high school, then in high school I spent the off-season preparing for the season and spent the actual season wishing it would never end. It was my life.

When I made the decision not to try to play in college, I was scared and unsure but also resigned to the fact that I knew I needed to go in a different direction. But who would I be without the thing that defined me?

I had not even considered playing for the college club team because I had always thought, "If I'm not going to play at the highest level I'm able to, I don't want to play at all." I would realize later how naive this was. As I approached the end of my senior high school season, my thoughts shifted. My travel season was over, so this was actually it for me. I wouldn't have practice or games every day anymore. I wouldn't put on my uniform. It was the thought of simply being done with this sport that made me realize I didn't care what level I would be playing at, I just wanted to play.

All my preconceived notions were essentially destroyed once I showed up to the Miami Club Soccer tryouts one week into my freshman year. There was a huge turnout and, unlike what I thought, everyone was actually good, and seemingly in the same boat as I was. They played soccer their whole lives but wanted a true collegiate experience. They couldn't imagine just giving it up. As I participated in those tryouts, I felt like myself again. I had come to school without knowing anyone, but doing something I knew I was good at, where I knew I fit in, changed my whole outlook immensely.

I didn't give anything up playing for the club team. I practice, I have games, I have regional tournaments and even national tournaments (which are always somewhere awesome). I travel to other schools while still having home games. I get to wear that uniform representing my school as I compete against others. It is extremely competitive while still remaining enjoyable and has offered me everything I wanted and more. I am able to play the sport I love with extremely talented players while still experiencing everything college has to offer.

If you are like me and don't want to consider giving up your sport but know you won't be playing at the collegiate level, play for your college club team. I promise you won't regret it.