Why You Should Never Take A Close-Distance Relationship For Granted

You never know what you've got til it's miles away.

234
Toa Heftiba

When I see couples strolling across campus holding hands or grabbing dinner together after class, I always feel a mix of happiness and jealousy. Even in high school, when my friends got to see their significant others every day, it was still really hard. This wasn't because I was single and envious, but because I was in a relationship with someone at a different school miles away.

I always have to hold myself back from telling these couples who get to see each other every day (or heck, even once a week) just how lucky they are. Think about how much you like your boyfriend or girlfriend and how much you enjoy spending time with them, and then practically eliminate your ability to do the latter. If you want to have a conversation and hear their voice, you have to wait until your schedules both open up for a phone call or Skype session. If they're having a rough day (which seems to be a common occurrence in college), it breaks your heart to not be there to comfort them with a hug. Sounds awful, doesn't it?

It's true, however, that a long-distance relationship really tests the former component: how much you like and care about your significant other. Maintaining a close relationship over hundreds or thousands of miles takes a lot of work and can cause a lot of emotional stress, especially when you're the one in need of a hug and coffee date after a rough day of classes. You don't go through all that for just anybody. Additionally, long-distance requires true trust and dedication to one another as well. There's no room for doubt or mistrust when it comes to the fidelity of your partner. Distance can really bring you closer together; and if not, then at least it's an easier transition out of the relationship when you can rest assured you won't awkwardly run into your ex in public.

Even with all the pride and happiness that can come with successfully maintaining a long-distance relationship, I would still give anything to be like those couples who can make plans for lunch Monday afternoon and a movie Friday night. Just like being separated from your best friends or your family, you never really know what you have until it's gone. So if you're fortunate enough to be in this kind of relationship, never take it for granted.