Cliche New Year's Goals With Some Reality

It's the thing you see every year, but hopefully this one is helpful!

1034

Hopefully this isn't your typical "New Year's Goals" article. I think the idea of setting a goal for the entire year, when the year hasn't even started, is so dumb. You can't have any idea what the coming year will entail, you can't even begin to predict what life will throw your way. Now I don't say that to scare you! It's just the truth, so how can you successfully stick to a goal you set in December all the way to the next December?

Setting a goal and then not sticking with it is a terrible feeling, but sometimes life gets away from us and we have to adjust accordingly so why not set a goal every month instead? Set your goal for January on January 1, set your goal for February on February 1, but make it a different goal than January and continue on every month. The idea of following through on a goal for 12 months straight is daunting and can be very discouraging, but following a goal for thirty days is much easier! Maybe make the one you know you will struggle with the most for February so it's only for 28 days instead of 31. Prove to yourself you can, in fact, follow through on the goals you set for yourself. Try a new goal for a month and then maybe go back to the first goal. Prove to yourself that you can do it before trying to make it for extended periods of time.

If you can only hold the goal for a week, consider setting easier goals or try setting goals for the week. Your life is changing and so are your needs for example if you set a goal to eat only three square meals a day, or to cut back on your food intake to a healthier level, but begin a hard workout regimen daily and are sleeping less because you're working more, then you may have to set aside the less food goal until your life settles down. Making sure you are healthy for what life is throwing at you is more important than temporary goals.

Good luck on the next year! I hope it's great and I hope that you achieve all you want to!