6 Classic Horror Movies Perfect For Halloween

In terms of horror movies, we have to admit that classic movies are far better than the new ones.

46

It is Halloween time. Halloween is my favorite holiday of the year, I like it even more than Christmas. It's the candies, the customs, the parties and the horror movies. Watching horror movies is always a good idea. Yes, I know we get scared. We have nightmares and we cannot stop thinking in those movies.

In terms of horror movies, we have to admit that classic movies are far better than the new ones. I do not know why today we are incapable of making good horror movies. Even though classic movies are lacking special effects, makeover or costumes, the stories and performances are excellent.

For this Halloween, I want to share my favorite 6 classic horror movies.

1. “The Others” (2001).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7pKqaPtMiA

Alejandro Amenabar is one of my favorite directors of all time. Anytime you have the chance to watch one of his movies, please, watch it. Amenabar does not have a bad movie.

"The Others" is a new classic with Nicole Kidman leading the story. This film shows how a simple ghost story can turn around and surprise you. Besides, "Thesis" is the first of Amenabar's productions, and it is a masterpiece.

It is in Spanish, but it is one of my favorite movies. I promise you with "Thesis" you will have a really suspenseful experience.

2. “The Sixth Sense” (1999).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-ZP95NF_Wk

This year is the 20th anniversary of this atypical Bruce Willis film. Millions of people left movie theaters open-mouthed because "The Sixth Sense" ending was unbelievable.

I promise you it is not a typical ghost movie. I cannot tell you more because I will spoil the story.

3. “Psycho” (1960).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz719b9QUqY

Alfred Hitchcock is another of my favorite directors. I am a huge Hitchcock fan. I have watched almost all his movies. I can talk for hours about how great a director he was.

He is the master of suspense, but he made one horror movie: "Psycho." "Psycho" changed the history of cinema with an unusual story and surprising actions.

There are about three or four terrible sequels, also, Gus Van Sant directed a revival in 1998 with a famous cast, but it was a failure. What I do recommend is to watch "Bates Motel," (2013) a TV show based on the movie.

4. “The Blair Witch Project” (1999).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNBAsVKcdXA

20 years later, the last five minutes of "The Blair Witch Project" is still scary. This independent production made millions of people believe it was a documentary instead of a movie.

Hundred of people went to forests to rescue the protagonist of the story. You do not need to spend a lot of money to make a great film.

5. “The Orphanage” (2007).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qjHkkffOx8

If I have to choose one movie from this list, "The Orphanage" is my favorite one. I never felt more scared than the first time I watched it. Actually, I am scared anytime I watch it again.

It is the story of Laura, who is going back to the place where she grew up with her son and husband.

Guillermo del Toro is part of the production and you will not forget the photography where you can see the best of Spanish landscapes.

6.  “The Omen” (1976).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxoob_XD7Ik

Probably when you think about "The Omen," you remember the 2006 version. I have to admit this new version is not a bad one. However, the original one with Gregory Peck leading the movie is a masterpiece.

Also, today, you get scared with that little boy and his tricycle. The idea of the evil behind all this is the best argument ever. There are two sequels. They are not good, but the last part can be saved.

This year, you have no excuse for not having a real Halloween with all these terrifying movies. I promise you will want to watch them more than once.