Never would have made it *Marvin Sapp voice* with ooouuuttt CHURCH

Though it is not on the schedule, church should fit somewhere within the week.

21
Sex, Lies and Video Tapes: Is It Time for the Black Church to Change?

Being a PK (preacher's kid) church was a weekly requirement in my home. I could not stay over night from Saturday to Sunday with friends because I HAD to make church. Though I sometimes rolled my eyes at the fact I could not miss church, unless I was terribly ill (which never was the case, amen) , I am glad I had to sit through (and sometimes sleep through services). I did not realize how much I needed church until I went off to college.

College is an emotional rollercoaster...in a good way. Students are surrounded by so much energy that predicts the outcome of their next step. For the most part, the energy is good; provided by friends, social events, and the results of good planning and executing. Other times the energy is hosted by plans not falling through, accidents, and stress. Either or, the energy is what keeps college students going. We all like that upbeat energy over that dragging energy, so where do we go when that upbeat energy is running a little slim on a personal level? Yeah, we can run to our friends for a laugh, a party for a turn up, and the library for our academic moves, but sometimes solutions can only be found in one place; church.

College tests faith; A student's future is pretty much being planned soon as classes start. These four (or more) years determine a hefty amount of one's life...that's a bit overwhelmingly stressful and nerve rattling. Within these four or more years students will have more questions than answers that more often than not, cannot be answered by a friend or solved by a turn up, but only through keeping and reviving their faith. Faith is one of the main things that motivates us to keep going; the idea that everything we do is for a purpose and that it will pay off in the long run.

The best way I can paint this picture is through my own instances:

Sometimes I don't believe I am where I am. Although my mother is a single parents, I am able to attend my dream school, which is out of state, and she has yet to pay a dime for my education...and no, I have not taken out any student loans. I told myself two things upon graduating high school: I will attend my dream school and I will cover my college education. I was too young to play the lottery upon setting these goals, and did not have the slightest clue how I would achieve them. All I had was faith and a strong work ethic that got me into the #1 Historically Black University in the United States. When I got here I did not let any grass grow above my feet either, I knew this opportunity was a blessing and that I had to make every minute worth it because the future is unpredictable. I ran for office, got into the honors program, became a mentor, and anchored on the campus' news station. None of this would be possible without faith, and this faith would not have been discovered had I not been dragged to church.

Its never to late to start attending church. There's no age limit or pre-required application with a resume; just a willingness to attend. Most people feel like they have to wear certain clothes to church, but that's false...and also a big turn off for people considering attending. Most churches just believe in 'coming as you are,' being that church is suppose to be a safe, judge free environment. Its also okay if you don't know the bible cover to cover. Church is a place for learning and growing; learning about the bible and its contents for life to make a little more sense, and growing out of old habits. The pastor breaks down the word into a language that we can understand and take with us and apply to our lives.

One of the most motivating ways to go to church is to not go alone. Ask a friend if they would like to join, that way one can push the other on those Sundays that seem to come soon...if you know what I mean. Start with attending service and if you ever wonder "what does that mean?" within the text, check out a bible study. Some schools have them on campus, but many churches host them especially catered to college aged students.

Getting involved in a church is fun and beneficial. Students who attend not only seek another form of strength but also an extended number of friends and family. Many members do not mind reaching out and assisting college students because they can relate or imagine how demanding college can be on students, especially out of staters. Events are hosted (that include food); walmart runs are offered; and most importantly, hugs, kisses, and well wishes are in abundance.