Stop Calling Chuck Bass "Boyfriend Goals"

Unless, your "boyfriend goals" are manipulative, possessive, and disrespectful, then be my guest.

4162
Fanpop

I love "Gossip Girl" as much as the next basic white girl, but let’s just talk about how toxic their relationship is. I see all over the Internet how Chuck is “boyfriend goals” and their relationship is “goals.” I, too, was fooled by his charm, but I am not anymore. And you shouldn’t be fooled anymore either. Let’s take an in-depth look at all of the problems "Gossip Girl's" most controversial relationship.

In Season One:

Episode 1: Chuck attempts to rape not one, but two characters (Jenny and Serena) in the FIRST EPISODE OF THE WHOLE SERIES.

Episode 7: Chuck and Blair prove how great of friends they are when they slept together despite the fact that Chuck is her very recently ex-boyfriend’s best friend.

Episode 13: “You held a certain fascination... when you were beautiful, delicate, and untouched. Now... now you're like the Arabian my father used to own. Rode hard and put away wet. I don't want you anymore, and I can't see why anyone else would.” - Chuck to Blair. (Why would you want someone who would say something like that to you?)

Episode 18: Chuck leaves Blair stranded and alone for the entire summer so he can have a presumably one-night stand (if even that much of an interaction) with Amelia, his stepmother's interior decorator.

In Season Two:

Episodes 1-12: They have a power struggle of who will say that they love each other first. He can't even tell her how he feels because he's a coward.

Episode 12: Blair finally says she loves him and instead of saying “I love you too” like a normal person would. He says, “That’s too bad.” She was just trying to comfort him about the death of his father, but he can't accept her help which is a quality that is generally bad in relationships.

Episode 25: He professes his love to Blair with an array of various expensive items. You cannot buy someone's love. You can buy their attention, but not their love.

In Season Three:

Episode 17: He clearly only views Blair as his property when he exchanges her for actual property aka his hotel. He clearly has no respect for her as a human being much less any respect for their relationship considering he set her up to have sex with his uncle in exchange FOR A HOTEL.

Episode 22: He has sex with a then 16-year-old, Jenny Humphrey, and no one seemed to care how it is illegal and is technically statutory rape.

In Season Four:

Episode 20: He brags about his sexual history with Blair to her current boyfriend’s mother-in-law which again shows his lack of respect for her and her privacy. Later in the episode he grabs her, pushes her against a wall, and then breaks the window behind her because she informs that she plans to marry someone else.

Her face is cut from the glass flying everywhere. He also says “You’re mine, Blair.” Maybe Louis was wrong for her, but that doesn't mean that 1. Chuck is right for her and/or 2. that Chuck is allowed to have such a violent reaction.

In Season Five:

Episode 1: Chuck hires men to beat him up because he feels numb inside due to Blair moving on with Louis. He also crashes his motorcycle in an attempt to get over her.

In Season Six:

Episode 10: They literally get married so she can’t testify against him and he won’t go to jail. That's how all healthy marriages start.

I totally understand Chuck's appeal. He is a hot, seemingly intelligent, rich man with perfect clothes and a sexy voice, but that doesn’t excuse his behavior and that certainly does not mean that he is "boyfriend goals."

By idolizing Chuck and Blair's toxic relationship, we are perpetuating the current problem that young people currently face with relationships. If these are the types of relationships that we look to for guidance, it’s no wonder that commitment, stability, and communication is practically non-existent.

So please redefine who you consider "relationship goals" and stop trying to fix the bad boys because that generally only works out in television. Instead, maybe try dating a nice boy who respects you and doesn't try to sell you like a sex slave to his uncle for his hotel.