Why Christmas Traditions Should Never Fade

75
happydayquotez.com

Decorating the Christmas tree, opening presents with cousins at Grandma’s house, the exciting insomnia of Christmas Eve and the early wake up calls of happy kids on Christmas Day… Christmas is a time of a traditions and being with family and friends. And most importantly, it is about recognizing the true reason for the season -- celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ.

Being with family is what makes Christmas so beautiful. Although for people my age the excitement of Santa may have sadly faded, being around young kids -- siblings, cousins, and friends -- brings it all back and it’s like we never grew up. Christmas has that kind of magical power… the power of making everyone feel like a kid again. Even if you know your parents are putting the gifts under the tree, that doesn’t take away the excitement and nostalgia that comes with getting surprises on Christmas morning.

But the most important tradition we all need to remember and celebrate over any gifts, is that of the birth of our Savior. Christmas is a reminder that God is always with you and the people you love -- your family. Everyone catches the feels during the holiday season, whether it’s with love and happiness, or the sadness of missing those you love that are not with you anymore. But by being together with those who you do have in your life, the magic of Christmas never fades. As I’ve grown older, I have realized that the gifts I want are those that can’t be bought. All I want is to be with my family and do everything I can to make sure they are happy and healthy. All I want is to pray and celebrate such a special time of my faith with those who share in it with me. Being gone at college makes you realize that the important things don’t come in packages under the tree, but in the feeling I get when I get home and see my loved ones.

Every family celebrates Christmas a different way, and every culture has different traditions. When I was growing up, I had two very different experiences of Christmas. One, which I like to call the "Southern Christmas," which is your typical “let’s eat a lot of food, drink, and open presents” kind of Christmas. From the honey-baked ham to watching the football game, the Southern Christmas I celebrate on Christmas Eve brings my family together each year. My other Christmas, or my "Latin Christmas" is the one I look forward to all year. In typical Hispanic style, we eat, drink, eat, and dance… a lot. After going to late-night Mass, we come back to have dinner… at midnight. Right when the clock strikes 12, we are saying the prayer over the hallaca (the Venezuelan tamale). No matter where I am, what I’m eating, or which side of the family I am with, my traditions never change and they are what make Christmas so special for me.

Although the people in your life may come and go year after year, the traditions should never fade. They are what bring family and friends together, celebrating the season of joy. Whether it’s a party or just sitting around the living room together, traditions are what fills households with such a special joy that only comes around once a year.