'Christmas With The Joker' Is A Must-See Holiday Movie

Add this to your Christmas binge.

93
Blogspot

" Christmas with the Joker", the second episode of "Batman: The Animated Series", really should be known as the episode to prove the legitimacy of the series. The holiday episode starts with Joker escaping from Arkham Asylum and Batman and Robin have to find him and stop him from killing hostages. Not only was it a festive episode but it showcased all the talent the show had to offer. "On Leather Wings", the first episode, introduced audiences to Batman but when up against a tragic yet underwhelming villain. "Christmas with the Joker" introduced us to Dick Grayson aka Robin, Batman's sidekick, and represented the brighter side to Batman's dark world. For example, Grayson wants to show Bruce Wayne the film "It's a Wonderful Life" because it represents the beauty of the human spirit. Wayne, being broody, shrugs as if its a waste of time and rather be patrolling the streets of Gotham City.

Of course, the star of the episode was the Joker, voiced by the stellar Mark Hamill. Much of the 90s generation have Mark Hamill as their definitive Joker and for good reason. Hamill brought the perfect balance of the comedic clown and deranged psychopath. Even for a show that was marketed to children, Joker was creepy. Originally, Tim Curry was offered to voice Joker but was seen as too scary, can you imagine that horror show? Hamill gave Joker a discomforting voice, multifaceted laughs, but also made him really funny with wise cracking jokes. Hamill's voice acting was ground breaking for the industry since he knew how to convey Joker's moods like an instrument would. Joker's design is also disturbing, having the yellow eyes and massive grin. It was as if Joker just jumped right off the comic book and into the television screen.

This episode also introduced the beauty of its animation style. The series focused on dark Art Deco, which is fantastic choice, since like Gotham City, Art Deco represents luxury and faith in social and technological progress. The creators also used art deco for their title sequence and title introductions. Also, the creators of the series defined Gotham City as a city that is timeless and it has been defined by that ever since. In the series, you will witness gangsters with tommy guns and fedoras, police blimps, classic cars, but they have cell phones and computers. It's Batman against the Joker in a contemporary Roaring 20s. It's genius.

So if you are watching holiday specials and enjoy geek culture, "Christmas with the Joker" should be on your list. It has everything Christmas related while bringing to the forefront one of the greatest animated shows of all time. Whether its the voice acting, animation, or storyline, this episode has something for everyone; sit back and enjoy.