Christmas In November: Why I Put My Decorations Up Before Thanksgiving

Putting up Christmas decorations early really makes me happy.

27
Unsplash

As a Sophmore in college, my everyday life is filled with stress. I am struggling to balance work, school, clubs, and social life. Since November 1st rolled around, way faster then I could have anticipated, I have been itching for winter break. Now that Halloween is over, I want to bake cookies and listen to Christmas music.

Since I was a child, the thought of Christmas has filled me with so much joy. When it starts to get cold, I am filled with anticipation for the holiday season. A season filled with traditions, gifts, and family. I just want to experience the happiness I associate with Christmas for as long as I can each year.

Even though my dad is against the idea of decorating for Christmas before Thanksgiving, my mom would slowly start pulling out decorations and play carols when he was at work. My siblings and I would wake to instrumental music blasting throughout the house and watch as more Christmas decor was placed around our home without our dad noticing. I think this sparked my obsession with decorating early.

We also have a ton of traditions in my house. When I was younger my family used to spend hours driving around to look at all of the houses done up for the holidays. We would make a whole night of it. My siblings and I would pile into the back of our SUV all done up in holiday clothing, sing along to carols, and admire the houses. On Christmas Eve, everyone in my neighborhood would line our streets with paper lanterns to "light the way for Santa." My sisters and I would create a mixture of oats, carrots, and glitter for the reindeer, and handpick the best cookies to set out. Thinking about these events make me endlessly excited about the upcoming holidays.

I decorate early because filling my home with reminders of Christmas brings up all the happy emotions and memories I associate with the holiday. When I am in a bad mood or stressed I can come home and be reminded that I have almost made it through another semester and soon I will be home with my family and on a well-needed break.