5 Reasons Why I Want To Spend Christmas In New York City

If only we weren't in a global pandemic.

13
lighted Christmas trees
Photo by Alex Haney on Unsplash

Although we're currently in a global pandemic and we can't do some things like we used to, New York City has been a destination on my bucket list for Christmas vacation for years. I've had the privilege of spending one of my winters in New York, and it's something I want to experience again... but this time in the city! These reasons are given under sans-COVID circumstances, of course.

1. Being able to actually dress for winter

I've lived in Florida for all of my life, and I know that having lived in such a warm state, where the coldest it gets is 60 degrees, I'm not really built for weather as cold as it is in New York. However, if you take me shopping for sweaters and coats, you'll see my winter-fashion side rise to the surface. There's nothing like pairing a turtleneck with a nice trench coat and boots, or a cute skirt with a nice sweater (and probably a thermal). For me, winter outfits are where it's at!

2. The fact that it's snowing right now

Recently, I heard New York just got snow this month and people have been posting videos of the snowfall. One of my friends even posted that it was their first snow experience living in the city which looked like she was living in a snow globe! I've only ever seen snow once in my life, and it was something I will never forget. Snowball fights and making snowmen with my family are some of my favorite memories I have with them and I can't wait to go back to do it again!

3. See the Ball Drop in Times Square

I know this isn't technically Christmas, but I've been watching the Times Square Ball Drop for years and have always wanted to see it in real life. What better way to ring in the new year with hundreds of people (saying that now makes me shake and cringe) and watching the famous Ball Drop? Maybe in a post-pandemic world, this will hopefully be a reality again.

4. Great photo opportunities

Christmastime is one of the most perfect times for photo-ops with Christmas trees peering through store windows and the snow-filled parks, which makes the perfect opportunity for candid photos of snowball fights and snow angels. Being able to capture the season through beautiful pictures and keeping the memories alive through them is what helps make Christmas, along with other holidays, so memorable.

5. Spending time with my family

Having family up in New York makes me want to go and visit even more around this time of year when that's what Christmas is about, but 2020 had other plans. Even though we can't see each other this Christmas, there are other ways we can keep in contact with each other, and I'm perfectly happy with spending Christmas here at home with other family members. Hopefully, COVID-19 will subside soon, and we'll be able to travel and visit family with our minds at ease.