Christianity And Finances - How God Wants Me To Give

The topic everyone loves to hear about

12
Google images

The topic everyone longs to read about... Christianity and finances. Many churches are skeptical preaching about this subject, due to the amount of Christians who feel convicted by it. Yet many take offense, opposed to repent. To live as God commands us to live, we must know how God asks us to use the resources He’s given us.

God could’ve created rocket ships and Mozart’s music himself, but He put us in charge to create and build upon what he’s already given us. God made us stewards of nature and one another, giving us the responsibility to care for His creation, and co-create. “The land must not be sold permanently, because the land is mine and you reside in my land as foreigners and strangers” (Lev 25:23).

None of what we have is truly ours. We are strangers and foreigners in this land which ultimately belongs to God. We are to maintain and improve it. Caring for the poor is the second most common theme throughout the Bible, yet it’s rarely talked about from the pulpit. The majority of churches have failed to teach proper stewardship of our resources. We are taught how to spend 10% of our income, but the other 90% is neglected to be talked about. If we as Christians do not know how to properly use what God has given us, what are we basing our financial decisions off of? The cultural viewpoint. Christians should not be spending money the same way society is spending their money.

There are at least one billion people who have not heard of Christ, and 1.2 billion who have to live on a dollar per day or less. It is not God’s will for anyone to be poor. We are not called to be poor, just possibly live more simply. “He who gathered much did not have too much, and he who gathered little had no lack” (2 Cor. 8:14-15). Great imbalances of wealth and poverty do not please the Lord, but we must be stable enough to give in order to care for the poor. He who gathered much did not have too much. Do we have too much, or do we have just enough? Do our brothers and sisters lack while we are living with plenty? “From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked” (Luke 12:48).

“Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share” (1Tim. 6:17-18).

If we are obeying what we are told is the two greatest commandments: loving God with all of our heart, soul, and mind; and loving our neighbor as ourselves, then our time and finances would be spent to His glory and honor. When I look back will I see that my financial decisions have served the Lord, or only myself? I like to remind myself of the Lord’s humility, to leave his throne in Heaven, and come to earth to practically be homeless.

“Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me” (Matthew 25:45). We are held accountable for our willingness to give. Those who receive are held accountable for how they use what they are given. Next time you justify the reason to withhold generosity due to the “fear” that the receiver may spend the money you give them unwisely, remember that God is your provider, and evaluate how wisely you use what he gives you. To God, we are the needy and the poor. He has the power to give and to take away. Yet, he gives to us even though we are not wise stewards. Giving is about the act, about showing God's love. Not for judging the receiver, for we too are receivers. “For who makes you different from anyone else? What do you have that you did not receive? And if you did receive it, why do you boast as though you did not?” (1 Cor. 4:7).

If you’re not convicted at this point of the article, kudos to you! I’m convicted and I’m the one hypocritically writing it! What I’ve concluded from my financial pondering with the Lord is if we are putting Him first, our hearts' desires should align with his. If we are obedient to the Lord, we will have the desire to be more generous. He does not want us to be filled with guilt. That is the devil taking something good and turning it into a bad thing, as he does best.

The Lord created us all with different talents and passions. Use these talents and passions to give in a way that fits you. You do not have to give to every presented opportunity; the needs of this world are endless. If you are hospitable, host someone. If you are passionate about children, cooking, or construction, all of these things can be used as suitable giving options. Giving will look differently for everyone; ask the Lord how He wants to use you. Trust in Him as your ultimate provider, and be obedient to where you feel He is leading you. When we realize God is the source of all we have, we are better able to enjoy all of the gifts He’s given us! In Philippians, Paul did not care to have the gifts from the church of Philippi, but wanted them to have the good that comes from giving. Paul says, I am not looking for a gift, but I am looking for what may be credited to your account.

I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength” (Philippians 4:11-13).