Why You Should Give Christian Rap A Chance
Music

If You Love The Beat In Rap Music But Hate Explicit Lyrics, Christian Rap Is For You

I love the beats, but I realized that the more I focused on the beats, the more lyrics I heard, the less I appreciated the song.

194
The Christian rapper lecrae

I never liked rap until I got to college. Rap has good beats which means that people can have fun dancing. When I saw my friends having fun, I really wanted to join in, but for me, the content of the popular rap songs was so explicitly inappropriate that I couldn't appreciate the music or the beats. I love the beats, but I realized that the more I focused on the beats, the more lyrics I heard, the less I appreciated the song.

I realized that there were so many rap artists everywhere. No two artists rap the same way with the same content. I discovered Christian rap along the way, and I knew I had found good beats with clean lyrics.

Just this weekend, I went with two of my friends to Lecrae and Andy Mineo's concert at the Playstation Theatre. It was so hype! This concert was my first concert ever and I loved it so much. The opening rappers, What's up RG, Nobigdyl, and others rapped their songs but I don't really know them that well. They were really good though! Lecrae came out and rapped hammer time first. All of his popular songs were nostalgic memories of the car trips I had taken with one of the friends. At the concert, the artists were really down to earth, telling us about their journeys and how much they have struggled. On the train ride to Playstation Theatre, we talked about how Lecrae has a lot of songs that made us question if he is a Christian rapper. Hearing him saying that he went through many rough patches helped me realize he was just a person on a journey with God. The only difference between him and me was a couple hundred thousand people watching his every move. Andy Mineo was the last rapper and he sang one of my favorite rap songs, "None of My Business." I was really excited! The closing song was "Coming in Hot" because Lecrae and Andy Mineo collaborated on that one. They sang three encore songs and it was a continuous hype vibe until the end.

If I could go again, I would!