Being A Christian In College

Being A Christian In College

"I was blind but now I see" John 9:25

227
Being A Christian In College
Gospel Ramblings

Every day of my college career my faith has been tested. Do I pray before I eat or will people look at me funny? Do I join a Christian group on campus or will people see me differently because of it? Can I make it to church on Sunday or was I out to late at a party on Saturday? Constantly I am contemplating and worrying about how I'm going to please God as well as fit in.

Last year I took a huge plunge and became a founding sister to a Christian sorority that was coming to our campus. I took an even bigger dive when I became Vice President. I have to say though it was one of my best decisions I made in college. I became sisters who believed in the same beliefs as me, who didn't look at me funny when I needed to pray, and sisters who believed in me as well.

I remember FaceTiming my big one day at the beginning of the year. I remember that I was going through a pretty hard time, and asking her "can we please pray?" I remember her responding with "Storm, you never have to ask me to pray, we always can." I have prayed for her everyday since, I have prayed for myself every day since to be more like her when it came to my Christianity.

Yes, some of my sisters are stronger in their values and beliefs and some of them are not as strong as where I hold my values and beliefs. However no matter where we fall for the most part everyone is there for everyone. We are non-denominational so we all come from different backgrounds. Does that mean we can't be in a group all praising God together? Nope.

Maybe I am a senior in college, and I still have not found that "church family" for me yet. Maybe I do miss a Sunday because I was out too late, or maybe even I choose not to pray before dinner one night because I am eating with someone who is openly not a Christian. Does that make me a bad Christian? No. Does that make me a bad person? No. Do I struggle with being able to take a stance on my beliefs every day? Yes.

I attend a liberal arts school. One that is all about making everyone feel comfortable, and meet the needs of diversity. But sometimes or most of the time I feel as if they are so busy meeting those needs, that mine are not met. When I attempt to speak in class about the election, I am known as a "Majority White Christian." Just because I am of the majority, a lot of the times I am not taken seriously or I am told I am a racist or not including because I am of the majority.

In the Bible God says to not judge. To accept others, and to accept others who may be different then you. "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave no free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus." Galatians 3:28

"Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8