Pursuing A Christ- Centered Relationship

Date someone who loves Jesus more than you

18722
American Angelican Council

“A relationship that lasts is one with Christ in the center. Two people putting God first, seeking Him in every way possible, in order to be as good a spouse as one can be. It’s about trusting in one another and trusting in God’s plan, that He will build your relationship into one that will last a lifetime.”

Being in a relationship is a great feeling. I mean who wouldn’t want someone who they can spend time with and share their love? It is one of God’s greatest gifts, but if your relationship isn’t Christ-centered, than what’s the point? Where is that relationship going to lead you? You have an awesome boyfriend who is incredibly nice, gives gifts, makes you the happiest in the world. Congratulations…. but where are the signs of God in your relationship?

Ask yourself these questions: How is your relationship with God personally? Are your words and actions continually worshipping God? Are you and your partner keeping God at the center of your relationship? Are you growing closer to God, both individually and together as a couple?

Now this isn’t just an article for those in a relationship, but also for those who are pursuing or looking for a relationship in the future. This is an important thing to look for in a future relationship.

I personally believe it would be hard to have a relationship with a non- believer. Although there are some cases in that one person draws their partner to the faith, being a Christian in the world today is tough. Judgements are made across the board on who has a relationship who. People worry too much about their appearance and what people will think of them. Yeah, your boyfriend or girlfriend may be attractive, but if they have an undesirable heart or stuck-up personality, that covers up the beauty. It’s not about the outside appearance that matters, it’s what is on the inside that makes them special.

If your relationship is centered on Christ and you each have that desire to grow in a relationship with Him, then both of you will feel a sense of pleasing God. You want someone who can support you in reading the Bible daily and attending church and Bible studies. You want someone who will pray with you before each meal and every night; someone who will pray for YOU. Set an example to those around you, even for your future children on what a relationship is to be: centered on Christ.

Love comes from God. God is love. Love is God. Love is a gift from God. In 1 John 4:7 it says, “Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.” God calls us to have a relationship with Him and to revolve our relationship with another on God’s love. If God has called you to be in a relationship, He is calling you to be a disciple of Him and His love.

Date someone who loves Jesus more than you. Choose to be with someone who brings out your truest identity in Christ. The right relationship won't distract you from God; it will bring you closer to Him. Ask God to give you His eyes for your partner, to show you how He sees him/her. There are no flaws but perfections; there are no downfalls but uniqueness. Looking at your partner through God’s eyes will give you a different view of what love is.