Why I Chose Journalism

Why I Chose Journalism

Journalism is history on the run

197
Why I Chose Journalism
MediaShift

When I first started college, I was declared as an education major. I took the first classes in my path to be a high school math teacher, and I quickly realized that math education was not the path for me. Calculus actually made me cry, and math wasn’t something I was good at or passionate about. Once I figured out that teaching math was practically the last thing I wanted to do, I had to sit down and think about what I wanted to do next. The next semester, I decided to start taking my education classes in the hopes that maybe I would like to teach a subject other than math.

When I walked into my education class on the first day, I realized exactly what it was going to take, and I realized that I wasn’t excited about any of it. In fact, I was kind of dreading it. So, I dropped my education class and decided to join the newspaper class so that I could have some time to decide what I actually wanted to do.

Joining the school newspaper turned out to be the best thing I could have done. I figured out that I really loved writing for the paper. I had always loved writing when I was in high school, and I don’t know why the idea of majoring in journalism had never crossed my mind before.

Journalism is something that I’ve come to realize that I love. I like the idea of having a way to get my voice out there in some form or another. Journalism gives me a way to express myself in a way that I’m good at. Journalism gets me to get out of my comfort zone and it gives me opportunities to talk to people I would never have talked to otherwise. It gives me a different viewpoint on things. I’m able to see things from a different perspective because of journalism.

I’ve always been a little nosy, and I’ve always enjoyed researching all aspects of an issue before making any judgements. Journalism is something that requires hours of research and being nosy is practically a job requirement.

Journalism has opened so many doors for me. For instance, I never would have started writing for Odyssey had it not been for my decision to give ojurnalism a try. I like the idea of being able to choose what I do with my life. Journalism has a lot of different options. One journalism degree could open hundreds of doors.

Journalism is giving me a chance to make a difference. I may not be the best journalist, yet, but I am still learning. I’ve only taken two journalism classes and have already fallen in love with the profession. I chose journalism because it challenges me, and it gives me the opportunity to use a voice I never even knew I had.