Why I Chose To Go Through Formal Recruitment

From anti-Greek to very much a sorority woman, I'm so proud of the choices I've made this year.

10
Sarah Gunderson

When I came into college, I was completely against the idea of joining a sorority. There was no way I was going to set foot anywhere near a form of Greek life. But as time went on, I saw the effect it had on my close friend Katie. I listened to her talking about how happy she was, how she bonded with all these wonderful women, and I decided to go to formal recruitment--and boy, am I glad I did.

Recruitment started off as an absolute blast. We had our head ladies who were wonderful and put on the whole thing, and they were a true blessing to us. With such incredible women at the helm, the entire experience was set up for success! I was significantly surprised by how the process differed from my previous belief--I thought you got to pick your favorite and you were in, kind of like a club. In reality, you meet with all the sororities at separate socials over a few days, and narrow down your choices. Through a mutual selection process, the sororities choose who they want to stay... and who they have to let go. I was lucky enough to stay in the bidding pool until the last day--bid day!

When I accepted my bid from Alpha Sigma Alpha, I knew from spending time with the ladies that I had been invited into something special. I bonded with a few girls right off the bat, and I haven't looked back. While I went in with expectations similar to scenarios in American Pie or Animal House, I was blessed with the knowledge that Greek life is nothing like that. One of our main focuses in the Greek community is maintaining a high standard of scholarly excellence, and that is extremely important to me as a nursing hopeful.

My sisters are another facet of my school family. I love them all, they're beautiful and unique and each one is valuable and worthy of all the good things in the world. The first girl I talked to at the first formal recruitment social was intelligent, entertaining, gorgeous, and she had so much depth that I could latch on and build a friendship instantaneously. The same goes for every woman I met during recruitment--all were so kind and smart, I love all of them!

I'm so proud to call myself a sorority woman, and I know that stereotypes don't adhere to my sisterhood. We're all different, some are social butterflies and others are introverts enjoying books or movies on their own. Some love to game, some love to get their nails done, others like to chat about sports. One thing unites all of us--we all love each other, even through little disputes that crop up now and then. I'm excited to call myself a lifelong Alpha Sig, and I hope others decide to take this leap!