Choosing Myself

2019 Is The Year I Choose Myself Over Anything Else

I deserve to give myself some time.

82
https://pixabay.com/en/people-woman-travel-adventure-trek-2591874/

I'm sure I'm like most college students when I say we forget to take care of ourselves until we completely go off the rail. If not, that's what describes me for 2018. I spent most of my time running myself empty by dedicating all of my time toward assignments, work or planning for future assignments.

Every semester seems to follow the same pattern. I'm giving 110 percent in the first month and a half of school and the last month and a half I'm dying for sleep or some kind of rest. Next year is kind of different. I'm graduating in May (WTF) and I only have my life planned up until then. Thinking about life after college is unfathomable and honestly twists my stomach.

But even if I don't know what the future will hold post-graduation, I know that with every decision I make next year it's to better myself. I want to dedicate next year to trying new things and visiting new places. I'm road tripping with my best friend after graduation to visit Arizona, Utah, and Colorado. I'm visiting the Philippines next summer with my whole family for three weeks. I want to leave each place feeling proud of who I am becoming. My friend and I are already labeling our road trip as our "Eat Pray Love" trip.

I've spent too much time distracting myself from...well myself... and now that I'm wrapping up my college career, I am forcing myself to take time to myself. I want to read more because I haven't finished a book since high school and reading was my thing. I want to read my Bible more and spend more time journaling because it makes me happy.

It's important to give yourself the time you deserve because how else are you going to serve others and be the person you need to be for anyone around you.

I'm trying to better myself. I'm trying to reflect and heal wounds that I've left untouched for too long. I want to move forward and I'm inspired to do so this upcoming year. I've recently turned 22 and though I've accomplished quite a bit, I know I'm nowhere close to where I want to be.

My birthday was a wake-up call (like it is every year because I'm a December baby) and I'm ready to hit the ground running. I'm excited to graduate and I'm excited to explore the world. I know this year is going to be a good one. I feel it.