Choosing To Commute Was One Of The Best Decisions Ever

If you have the chance, take it. Be a commuter.

79
https://www.pexels.com/photo/woman-in-black-jacket-789294/

This is my last semester in college. Every semester so far has been a money pit, as I was drowning in the expenses of mediocre school housing. I lived an hour away from school, so there was no way I was putting my car and money into that trouble. I had to live in half-assed apartments.

There was no avoiding it.

But then, something turned around. Student teaching was at home, and I had no choice but to drive an hour to and from my placement in the fall semester. The spring semester was an opportunity I could not let slip by.

Full-time teaching in the spring required driving to and from, but not as much class time. School was irrelevant to me at this point; I did not have to be up there. So, I canceled my housing and I decided to live at home.

I'm telling you. One of the best decisions I've ever made.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed my time spent at college. I loved living there because I was free and independent, and I could focus on my life without anything else lingering in the back of my mind.

I could leave and drive somewhere without someone asking me where I was going. I could stay up as long as I wanted without someone jumping down my throat and screaming at me to go to bed at a normal time. I could hang out wherever with any of my friends and not worry about a damn thing.

I do miss all of that, but damn. Home is always better.

I became a commuter.

Commuting is good for me this semester. It makes sense. There are rarely ever any distractions. I have class seven times throughout the semester, so I only have to drive up there when I absolutely have to. My placement is seven minutes away.

It was such a smart decision to switch to commuter life. If you have the chance, take it. Be a commuter. It saves you so much money and you will overall be happier.

Although living up at school was great because of meeting new people, experiencing new places, and having a blast by myself, I am so glad I chose to stay home and spend time with family, while focusing mainly on my academics.