Choosing a College: What to Consider

Choosing a College: What to Consider

6 Tips for Choosing a College

13
Choosing a College: What to Consider
Hope Speak

College is something that hangs over our lives as we graduate from high school. We worry about fitting in, what we're going to major in, the distance from our families (big or small), and most of all, what it will cost. When I was choosing a college for the first time, I was at an even bigger disadvantage because I was unhappy about going to college at all. My decision was made solely by which of the two schools I applied to would accept me, and it was a bad position to be in. I had no desire for going to college, but I want to share some tips with you that might make your choice a little easier, and hopefully the process of applying will be much smoother.

Will my dream school accept me?

It can be a hard question. Are my academics strong enough for my application to be worth it? If my grades and test scores are not super impressive, do I at least have a record of extracurricular involvement? Whatever college you choose will be looking at it all, and some may be more lenient on what kind of grades they will accept. Sometimes dream schools are a very achievable, appropriate goal, and sometimes they are a shiny plaything dangling high above your head. Evaluate which one you are shooting for before applying.

Do I have room to explore?

Some people know their purpose in life and making decisions about the future is a no-brainer. I am not one of them, and it's likely that you aren't either. Most of us have no idea what we want until we stumble upon it. So the college you attend should have a varying set of majors and fields that you could see yourself in. If you change your mind on a major, you might not have to change schools.

What kind of financial aid do they offer?

This is possibly the most vital question you can ask. Money will always be important, and despite what kind of money you think you'll be making, there are too many variables for you to know. You could even end up unemployed after college or be forced to work in a field other than your area of interest. It is vitally important that you choose a school you think your career will afford, and you have to be realistic.

Should I attend community college?

Community college is a uniquely challenging experience. Often they have way to many students to not enough staff, but it is an inexpensive way to start your college career and save some money so that going to your dream school is not as big a financial burden. There may even be a program at a community college that would be enough for the occupation you plan to have.

Do I even need to attend college?

The tough choices are the most important. While it's true that most who attend college make more money during their lifetime, that can't be the path for everyone. Have you considered whether the industry you want to enter even needs a traditional college experience? You may find that a vocational or tech school suits your needs, or getting an associates degree. For others, you may be able to find the best work simply by diving headfirst into the industry. You might consider speaking with someone in the field to find out what they consider the best way to get in.

Is the college a good fit?

The most important thing to consider is whether or not the college you're applying to will be a place you can see yourself in. Is it in a location where you feel comfortable, whether that is close to family or far away, in a city or in a suburb. Your college will be your home away from home and if you don't feel welcomed by the people, or you can't stand the class sizes, or the campus is huge and you don't have a car, you're going to find it that much harder to complete your studies.

If you haven't found the perfect college for you, don't feel that you have to start right away. There are plenty of people, myself included, that don't go through college immediately following their graduation from high school. But don't waste that time either. Get a job and save up as much money as you can. Explore schools nearby and all over the country. Talk to older friends about their experience with college. The world is not one size fits all, and college is not one size fits all either. Good luck with finding your place in the world, no matter how long it takes!