Choose your SIEM wisely
News

Choose your SIEM wisely

Today's SIEM

82
Choose your SIEM wisely

Today's SIEM (security information and event management) systems offer more capabilities than in the past, but many organizations fail to realize their promised potential. Here are the key questions to answer to ensure that the solution you choose delivers the benefits you expect.

The demand for security information and event management, all siem monitoring services solutions is very high today, but that doesn't mean that companies can use these products without problems.

However, the Underdefense team sees that the root of the concern is common to vendors and organizations. While some legacy SIEM products have tried to scale and proved to be effective, some companies are simply not ready to work properly with such a system. SIEM systems are not something you just install and expect something wonderful to happen.

If your SIEM system isn't up to par, start by examining your environment, needs, and capabilities, and then decide the right solution to meet your needs. Here's a list of 14 questions to ask yourself and your vendor before purchasing a SIEM.

1. Is your current SIEM system a concern? While some solutions are better than others, a bad SIEM system is quite rare. If you're not getting the value you expect, think about the reasons why: have you assigned the right staff? Do you have enough bandwidth to operate?

A SIEM system can work properly if it is managed and if dedicated personnel take care of its setup and operation. If you don't have a good team managing your SIEM, you won't solve this problem by replacing one system with another.

2. Can you afford it? Take a closer look at your security to see if you can really afford to run a SIEM. Do you require a contract with a managed service provider for monitoring? Or are you well-equipped for the job?

The problem with a so-called flawed SIEM system may ultimately be that it's okay, but that you simply can't use it. If you don't have a person to monitor its signals, you won't be able to unlock its potential.

3. What do I want to monitor? Before comparing SIEM products, you need to understand what problem you want to solve with such a system. Don't ask the vendor what you need, you need to know it yourself. Start with what you want to monitor and why.

If you decide that a new SIEM system is the best way to go, ask the following questions to help you choose a vendor.

4. What are your commitments to your current SIEM product? Large SIEM vendors are relatively stable and have a good financial track record, but if you are considering a smaller vendor or a non-SIEM vendor, you need to know how the technology fits into the context of the vendor's company as a whole.

●How much focus and consistency is given to the vendor's platform?

●Is the SIEM an important or unimportant part of the company?

Look for stability, the Underdefense team advises.

5. What are the costs? Some SIEM licenses charge users based on the amount of data processed by the SIEM system. Adding devices that generate additional logs and alerts can increase costs.

6. Will I be able to integrate security analytics? Since deciding on a new SIEM vendor will likely lead to a long-term relationship (a SIEM is not something you want to change every few months or years), you need to understand where the security analytics vendor is today and how it fits into their plans for the future.

You need to see how long-standing time advances from a really strict rules-based SIEM to an analytics stage.

7. How do you back cloud situations? In the event that your business, like most, is moving more information and framework to cloud suppliers, you want to have the same permeability into your cloud environment as you are doing into your possess foundation.

8. How will you empower robotization in the future?

●While security professionals hate to disrupt their traditional roles, it's important to keep the future and automation deployment in mind.

●SIEM vendors are now looking at ways to automate some processes. It's part of a new wave that we're getting more and more used to.

●Ask yourself how you can implement a greater range of automation.

How will you prepare us to automate our workflows?

9. Who are your partners? Vendor partners are an indicator of how easy or difficult the integration will be. Also, ask about available APIs for connecting other technologies and functions.

10. How will you improve the SIEM? The boundaries it pushes are just as indispensable as the commitment of the SIEM vendor. SIEM vendors are including more brain capabilities, more analytics, and calculations to target genuine brain capacities, not fair to help a well-trained human brain.

11. I need to oversee SIEM in my claim foundation. What offers assistance is accessible? Security experts have two approaches to overseeing a SIEM framework: either you need to possess and work it since you'll be able to manage security superior to others, otherwise, you need to outsource it. If you are the former, there are still reasons to ask for support.

There are ways to outsource SIEM management, create a log, and provide training to keep everyone up to date. There are also ways to provide support without management, which are certainly important.

12. I need to outsource. How will you bolster me?

●When we discuss approximately fizzled and fractional arrangements, we see individuals saying that they can now not back SIEM on their own infrastructure.

●On the off chance that this is often your case, you wish to know on the off chance that it is conceivable to outsource the administration of the SIEM framework. This includes asking about available consulting services and the possibility of including them directly in the contract.

13. What training is available for our team? Ask about all available in-person and online training options to improve the security team's experience with the SIEM product and train new employees in the future. Is there a client community where individuals can inquire questions?

14. Can you fathom my particular utilize case? Whether a merchant can unravel an issue like yours and how they illuminated an issue like yours are questions with distinctive answers.

Look for evidence that the vendor can (and has) solved problems in an environment similar to yours. Ask the vendor for proof that they can solve your needs. Ask them to call other customers and ask about their experiences.