I'd Choose Traveling Over College

I'd Choose Traveling Over College

I'd rather be exploring the great barrier reef than the bookshelves of a library.

597
I'd Choose Traveling Over College
Hannah Riddle

I'm not saying that I would never go to college. Honestly, picking traveling over college would be dumb. What I am saying is that if I could go back and travel before college I would do it in a heartbeat. Taking a year or two off in between high school and college may seem like the worst idea possible, but being wanderlust is a real thing and it may be the best cure.

There's nothing worse than sitting in class or at the library knowing that you could be off discovering some hidden local Italian restaurant in the middle of Italy or hanging out with koalas and kangaroos in Australia, but instead you're writing a five-page law essay for a subject that you're not even sure if you like. Getting to experience the world before college could've opened up my mind to so many different possibilities of what I want to do with my life. I could've discovered my dream career while simultaneously exploring the city of love or strutting through the fashion capital of the world. Sure there are study abroad programs at most universities, but It doesn't feel the same and it only subdues the urge for adventure for a short amount of time.

It's hard to get good grades and to stay focused in school when your mind is elsewhere. Knowing that I have to pick a major, then an internship, and am expected to get a job right out of college, is stressful. Will I even get to travel? Will there be time to explore the world after college or did i miss out on my chance before? Most people don't understand the urge and the desire, but for those that are wanderlust it will always sit in the back of their mind. Getting to explore the world and it's many different cultures and cities would be a more rewarding experience than any university could ever give me.