Choose To Go Forward

Choose To Go Forward

The past can't keep you forever.
6

I'm not sure why, but for these last few weeks I haven't been able to get the past off of my mind. I've been thinking about everything in my past life -- the relationships I've had, the memories that brought me utmost joy, the horrible memories I want to shake from my conscious, and everything in between. I'm not exactly sure why I've been looking in the past for what seems like a little while now, but I know that I won't stay there.

I once came across a quote that read, "A comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there." For me, I think that the past is somewhat of a comfort zone. I am familiar with things in my past, and I know how to react to certain situations that I've been put in before. But when it comes to new situations; well, that's something scary.

I think it's common to be afraid of unfamiliarity. As humans, we're apt to lean toward opportunities that we think we know about, or at least know enough about. Taking the leap is terrifying because there is a slight possibility that failure could arise. It's hard to constantly push yourself to keep trying new things, but I think it's important that we do.

Thinking about the past can be beneficial, yes. Some events that you have already encountered can help you make new decisions and it's important to learn from past mistakes. However, if presented with a new opportunity that brings along even the slightest possibility of joy and happiness, go for it. Get out of your own comfort zone. The positive outcomes could outweigh the negatives, and even if they don't, at least you learned something.

I should probably start taking my own advice and try to live in the present instead of drifting back to the past, which is all too easy to do. For now, I'll reflect. But soon, I will live my life facing forward, ready for what the world has in store for me, and not turn back.