Choose the right LinkedIn Head shot for your profile!

Choosing the wrong one can steer you away from your dream job!

23

Some people fail to realize how important your LinkedIn headshot really is. Whenever I look through the list of people I could potentially connect with, there are always those select few that use their blurry selfies or their vacation pictures with the buds in their Hawaiian shirts as their LinkedIn picture. Little do they know about how much people pay attention to your pictures. Some employers won’t even click on your profile if your headshot isn’t up to par. So here are some tips to make sure your LinkedIn headshot is in tip top shape.

• Realize that there is an issue with your Headshot
  • Go Pro.
  • Make a great first impression

If your picture shows family members, buddies or people you have clearly cropped out, it’s time for a change. If it shows an ounce of your social/ party life, you might want to change that as well. You do not want your future employer to see how much you party or what you do at said party. Also if your picture is three or more years old, you also need an update. Your high school senior photos are not going to cut it anymore; you need a more professional picture for your personal branding!

Don’t rely on your selfie to help you get the job. Invest in a professional to take your headshot for you. Connect with someone that you noticed had a really nice headshot and ask for a referral to their photographer. Trust me; it will be well worth the money. (Don’t resort to the mall photographer either)

Have you heard the saying: Never judge a book by its cover? Of course you have! Sadly, even though many people frown up quick judgement, it still occurs. The moment someone sees your LinkedIn profile picture they are automatically judging you, its second nature to us all. Studies have shown that facial characteristics can have a huge impact on one’s judgement of your character, straights, weaknesses and your ability to lead. For example, if you choose a happy photo that could mean that you are more trustworthy.

The importance of choosing the right LinkedIn picture is huge! A poor choice in a picture can damage your brand as a professional and employers won’t give you the opportunity that you deserve because of it. Don’t let something that is as little as a picture ruin your chances of making it big! Choose a picture that will make you stand out from the crowd because nine times out of ten there are going to be hundreds of people that are trying to get the same job as you, so make your picture count!

Remember to be wise for when it comes to LinkedIn! Your future career can be a few clicks way but it could slip right through your fingers if you have a bad headshot.