Chocolate chip cookies can heal
Life Stages

Finding Joy Through The Process

Sugar, butter, and flour can heal the soul.

31
Finding Joy Through The Process
Gina Salvatore

Baking always seems so tedious because it is filled with so many steps in order to create one thing in the end. Sometimes those steps are challenging and sometimes they are a breeze. Through a lot of trial and error with chocolate chip cookie recipes, I found that I started to enjoy the process of making the cookies. It was the different ways that I would melt the butter in the hopes that my cookies would not spread as much as they did with the last batch or the different types of chocolate chips I would use trying to find the perfect combination.

They always say the "recipe for success is..." and until now that saying never made sense. But here I am with more chocolate chip cookie recipes than I know what to do with and it all makes sense. In life, we have to go through a variety of different options to find the right path to get to our end goal. All of those options are like the steps to a cookie recipe. I always hated that you had to "work your way up" or "jump through hoops" to find your bit of success in the world but now that I have taken a step back I see now that I wasted a lot of time hating the process when I should have found the joy in each piece.

So much time can be wasted thinking that we will never make it to where we want to be professionally, or we dwell on the fact that we are not in the same place as the people we see on Instagram, or we think that we are not good enough to be doing what we are doing. I am pretty sure that butter never complained that it was going to be made into a chocolate chip cookie so why do we spend so much time bringing ourselves down when we should be digging deep to find our self-confidence and the fire that is within.

So head to the pantry and start pulling out of the ingredients you need. Life is a lot like a chocolate chip cookie recipe- there are a lot of steps involved to get where you want to go and while the work may seem arduous, the end result is always the sweetest.