Childhood Memories

Childhood Memories

They are so special, and so endearing

283
Childhood Memories

There is something about being a child that is so special.

Not only to you, but to others as well. Your parents remember when you took your first steps, when you said your first word, and everything in between. However, most people are not lucky enough to remember those moments. Some of my fondest memories are as a child. When you're a child, there is some kind of innocence that makes everything so much better. I remember spending time with my family and friends (who I still talk to today) as well as major, life altering events. I know that it may sounds cliche, but childhood memories are memories that you will carry forever.

Something that makes having childhood memories so dear is that when there is someone who is no longer around, you have those memories of them. After losing a loved one, you cannot physically spend time with them. The nice thing is that you can remember all the times you did have the opportunity to create physical memories. These memories are always bittersweet.

One thing that always gets me is the little memories that I have. Sometimes I can remember the smallest details of a moment, but something that happened two years ago seems almost impossible to remember. I don't know if I am the only one that can do this, but it seems to be things I remember more and more everyday.

The last thing about childhood memories that makes them so important is the idea that you did not have much to worry about. As a college student, I worry about deadlines, work, sleeping, maintaining a social life, staying healthy, having money, working towards my goals, thinking about everything I need to do, ect. But as a kid, my biggest worry was what color I wanted to use in my new 64-Pack Crayola Crayons with the built-in sharpener in the back (Yeah, that made you the "cool kid" of the class). I used to worry about who would use the last of my scented markers or who I was going to play with at recess. I worried about things like what kind of candy bar I wanted at the store when my parents felt generous that day and allowed me to get candy. Now I worry about affording something as small as a candy bar, and I worry that my mechanical pencil will run out of lead. As a child I worried about what hot lunch I would have, not if I could even eat lunch that day.

Being a child was so easy, and holding onto those memories gives me the reminder that things used to be simpler, and they still can be.