To The Child Whose Parents Are Their Main Go To

13
Taylor Anne Pace

Having a good relationship with your parents is such an important thing to have in your life. Your parents are the first people to ever love you. They taught you right from wrong, they showed you how to live life. They are the two people who will never leave your side no matter what. Some people have no relationship with their parents and I feel sorry for them. I'm best friends with my parents and I cannot imagine life without them.

My parents used to tell me that they weren't my friend. They were my parents, the authoritative figure first and foremost. Now that I'm older, they are my friend.

I call my parents whenever I need advice, different parent for different situations. They are my "go to". No matter what I can trust them and I know that they will give me their honest opinion whether I want it or no.

Think about it, when you are going through a crisis and you need a really valuable opinion who do you call? Answer, your parents. They seem to know everything. Obviously they do not know everything, but when we need answers they seem to have them.

Another thing that you know your parents are a go to for is when your sick. No matter if you are a boy, girl, young, old, you will ALWAYS want your parents when you are sick. From personal experience, when I started college my freshman year I was home sick a bit, but my sophomore I was only home sick when I was actually sick. I wanted to go home, have my mom make me soup and give me medicine. Just the thought of your mom being in your general vicinity makes you feel better. Plus for some odd reason when you're sick and you make soup, it always tastes so much better when your mom makes it.

My dad on the other hand, when you've had a long stressful day and you want to vent it all out, your dad is perfect for that. He is a fantastic listener and he gives great advice. Another great thing about phone calls with dad is if you are having problems or are fighting with a friend he will tell you straight up if you're the one that messed up.

Your parents also know you the best, they know you better than your friends know you. Whether you want to admit it or not they do honestly know you better than anyone. If you're in an off mood, they know.

Your parents will ALWAYS know what is best for you so that is definitely a plus. They will tell you straight up if you are messing up in your life and if you need to get your stuff together.

Your parents are the friends that will goof around with you and tease you. They are in most of your good memories because they are more than parents to you. You of course know the line between when they are your parents and friends but rarely do you ever cross that line.

Having parents as your go to's is really something that you should take advantage of. Create an amazing, trusting and fun relationship with your parents and the sooner the better.

They are your biggest fans so you will never be let down. They follow through and if you are ever doubting that job you just took, changing your major or just simply that friend that just stopped being friends with you, they always know what to say or what to do. Trust them and trust their instinct, it will save you and change you in ways you couldn't even imagine.

Last, but not least, yes your parents are amazing people and they help you whenever you need it, but you need to tell them. Tell them how much you appreciate them. Tell them how much you love them and how much you cherish them. Your parents aren't immortal, nor are you, so take advantage of the time you have together with them. And if you aren't close to them, I'd suggest you change that.