Chicagoans, Books May Be Coming To An 'L' Stop Near You

Books on the L is spreading the love of reading all over the city.
139

Two weeks ago I was standing on the train platform waiting to take the red line to work. I noticed a book sitting on a bench and as a major book nerd I was sad to see that someone forgot their book. I could see a bookmark in the middle of it and I thought “aw, they didn’t even get to finish it!”

However, when I walked a little closer I noticed a sticker on the cover and I realized what this book was! It wasn’t a forgotten book, it was a Books on the L book.

Books on the L is an organization that leaves books randomly on the CTA for Chicagoans to find, read, and place somewhere else for someone else. Like I said before, I’m a huge book nerd so it makes me really happy that there are organizations out there that promote reading.

The best part about it is it makes reading accessible to everyone. People from all walks of life ride the CTA every day. Leaving books on the train gives anyone who wants to the opportunity to read.

The book I picked up is called “Sweetbitter” by Stephanie Danler. The book follows 22-year-old Tess as she packs up and moves to New York City. In typical early twenties fashion, she really has no idea what she’s doing and she tries to find her way with a limited knowledge of NYC and an even more limited amount of cash. I’m always attracted to books that have main characters who are the same age as me. I also found a little bit of myself in Tess since I also left my small town for the big city.

It’s taking everything I have not to avoid all of my responsibilities and just sit in the sun all day and read this book.

Needless to say, I’m really glad I took a second glance at that book on the platform!

I look forward to finding more Books on the L and I’m excited to continue to support this cause.

You can follow Books on the L on Instagram @booksonthel! Oh, and for the New Yorkers our there, you guys also have something similar called Books on the Subway!

Read on, my friends.