Please, Check On Your Friends

We all experience tough times, it's just a part of life. You have to experience darkness to fully appreciate the light. But people underestimate the importance and necessity of moral and emotional support from those who care for you. Humans rely on social interaction to survive. It's how we were made, so logic would say that during the harder times we rely on that social interaction even more. Unfortunately, it's difficult to reach out when you're struggling. For some, that's due to pride, and others it could be a fear being a burden, or we just feel as though we have no one to go to. The feeling of loneliness during a rough patch is crippling. It can really affect how we respond to what you're going through & how we approach situations that require problem-solving.

I saw so many Instagram story posts about mental health during National Suicide Prevention Week (Sept. 8 - Sept. 14 this year) but did any of you reach out to a friend during that time? Or was the repost (emphasis on repost, it wasn't even an original thought/statement) enough to make you feel like you were showing support and that you are "woke"? To make a quick story post is simply not enough to help with the issue. Sure, you may be spreading awareness, as if most people aren't already aware, but you could make a drastic difference by just texting a couple of friends to let them know you're there for them. Mental health is something that isn't taken as seriously as it should be. Everyone says that it's okay to not be okay, but to not be okay and feel like nobody gives a shit (to be blunt) is awful.

We can't do it all alone, as much as some of us would like to. How difficult is it to just send a quick text? It doesn't have to be anything grand or deep, just a simple "Hey! I've been thinking about you. How are you doing?" would suffice. They may not spill all their troubles, but it is comforting to know you were thought about & that someone is there if you need them. You truly have no idea what's going on behind closed doors. Just because they act fine doesn't mean they're actually fine.

I urge you to think outside yourself & your own struggles. We are

all struggling in one way or another. I cannot stress this enough. REACH OUT TO YOUR FRIENDS. Time is precious, why wouldn't you want to spend it being a good friend?