Your Holiday Gift Guide On A College Budget

How to get the most bang for your buck on gifts they'll love!
4

The holidays are swiftly approaching, and that means it's time to start thinking about gifts for your loved ones. However, on a college budget, it's hard to make your very limited dollars stretch. Luckily, I'm here to help you put warmth in the hearts of your friends and family and keep money in your pocket.

For Your Mom:

Memory Lane -- Moms love sentimental items that show thought and care. Consider a cute picture frame with a photo of you and her during your childhood.

Get Creative -- Moms also love artwork that shows you put time and effort into her gift, as opposed to how much you spent. Maybe make her mason jars for her sewing items, a recipe holder, a floral monogram or a painting from the heart.

Bake -- Your mom has baked you cakes and cookies for various bake sales over the years, so doing the same for her would be greatly appreciated. Or put a coupon for a 'Night to Bake Together' for an even more sentimental gift, because she can spend time with her baby before you're back to school.

For Your Dad:

Random -- Dads are by far the hardest to shop for, so The Seinfeld Scene It game, dinner napkins or a 17-piece grill set might be just what fits your dad's fancy this holiday season.

For Your Significant Other:

For your Boyfriend -- Depending on how long you have been dating, shopping for a significant other can be really tricky. Finding the balance between obsessively clingy and not caring at all is often hard, but with a coupon book that includes a back rub, foot rub, day of football, dinner on you, etc., you can't go wrong. You may also consider a mixed CD, a gift card for his favorite bar to have two or three beers on you (encourages a boys night out), geeky trinkets for his love of Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings, or even two canvases and a bottle of wine for a date night.

For Your Girlfriend -- Much like for a boyfriend, a coupon book can't go wrong for your girlfriend either...bonus points if you get a stuffed animal and a bottle of wine to add to the gift. You may also consider a book she would like, candles, flowers, a jar full of love notes (caution: if you haven't been dating for a while, don't do this) or even a trip to an art museum.

For Your Brother:

Clean Up -- Brothers are hard to shop for, I know because I have two of them. Consider buying him a dollar shave club membership for just $1-5 a month, a comic book info book for the inner-geek of your brother or a book of how-to's like how to tie a tie.

For Your Sister:

Glam -- Your sister would be one of the only people to appreciate a sense of style or risk-taking trendiness. Try buying a couple daring shades of lipstick or some nice but inexpensive perfume. You can also opt for her favorite bottle of wine, nail polish, candles or a floral monogram (previously mentioned under mom gifts).

For Your Best Friend:

Movie Night: Best friends are hard to buy for as well because you want to give them the world, but have no money to do so. To show your appreciation, choose to do a cookie night of baking and pizza on you, a movie rented from RedBox, or even a bottle of wine and heartfelt letter. If you're a guy, give your best friend a beer and pizza on you and go to a college hockey or basketball game together before break. You'll miss them, so show it.

No matter whom you're buying for, he or she is sure to love his or her gift because it came from the heart of someone they care about. Best of luck in all of your shopping excursions, and happy holidays!