Stop Chasing After Happiness, Choose Joy Instead

Happiness is momentary. Joy is constant.

150
Mohamed Nohassi

It seems that everyone in this day and age is on the pursuit of happiness. They want to find a job that makes them happy, find a significant other that makes them happy, and so on and so forth. The truth of the matter is, happiness is nice and needed, but people don't understand happiness. If they did, they wouldn’t pursue happiness. They'd pursue joy instead.

Joy is what we should pursue in life, not happiness. I know that might ruffle a few feathers, but it's true. Don't get me wrong, being happy is a wonderful thing. Everyone in life has happy moments, but happiness is like the Florida weather. At 3 p.m. it's sunny, and at 3:05 p.m. you look out your window to view the tropical storm that's taking place. Happiness is momentary and not constant. For example, Fridays are paydays for me, and so, Fridays, in general, are majestic. It's the weekend, which means time off from school and usually work. So on Fridays and Saturday's, I'm happy. But when Sunday comes, that happy feeling goes away. I usually get an email about school, and then I'm reminded that Monday means the beginning of the new school week.

I feel that society has settled for searching for happiness instead of finding joy. You will never be more happy about something without joy. Joy is wonderful and it allows you to grow and impact others.

I am an aspiring journalist. I get a chance to learn from people who have been in the profession for many years. This profession makes my head want to explode with the amount of work it takes to be successful and to think that my professors have over 30 years in the field is crazy to me. I have one professor in particular who, to this day, works with WFTV, as well as the Orlando Sentinel, and teaches four classes. He teaches with such passion and power that allows us to learn from everything he says. He's happy with what he does, but his passion goes beyond happiness. There's a joy that he has about this profession.

Journalists don't get paid big bucks, and they have to work holidays and cover some of the worst that the world has to offer. But the most successful ones are the ones who find joy in it. Even though the hard work is not much fun, the love and joy that they have for what they do makes it all worth it.

Successful marriages aren't built on happiness. You're happy on your wedding day and when you have children. But with the way life works, there will be moments even in marriage that takes away happiness. What keeps the wheels turning when it feels like the wheels are going to fall off? Joy. Joy allows you to have hope that regardless of the situation, it's going to be okay.

Joy is the umbrella on a rainy day. Joy will allow you to sleep at night when your world is crumbling down. Joy is essential to have in order to truly experience happiness at its highest point.

I always feel that joy enhances happiness because it allows you to understand the deeper meaning of things. It allows you to have a fresh perspective on things, and it humbles you. The people full of joy in my life have impacted me greatly. That joy carries them through hard times, and the hope that they have radiates.

I'm convinced, everyone can find joy. I'm also convinced that if we all would seek joy instead of chasing happiness, we would have a new perspective and a new outlook on life that would allow us to have a constant peace, and experience those happy moments at a level that can't be comprehended.