It's 100% OK To Change Your Major In College

Changing Your Major Does Not Make You A Quitter

College is full of changes, this is just one of them.

180
Kaitlyn Gieske

College is a time for a big change.

Living without your parents for the first time, being in a new environment, meeting new people, and taking classes that will actually matter for your future. It can also be a time for a change in other ways. Every college graduate I have talked to in my family changed their major at least once. My mom changed her's three times. Even still, changing your major can be a difficult decision and can even make you feel guilty. If you really think about it, college is supposed to be about discovering your passion, and so what if your passion isn't your original major? This is the rest of your life we're talking about here! Just because you discover you're not actually interested in something does not mean you are a quitter. You can't be afraid to change your major because you're worried about what other people think; this is the thing you will be doing for the rest of your life. Not every high school has pre-major programs to help you find out what you love, so for some people, college is experimental for the first and even second year.

I was especially worried about what people would think when I was considering changing my major because I would be switching out of STEM.

I felt as if I was letting down every woman who was told they couldn't make it in STEM, and I was proving every sexist person out there right. It is so important to have women in STEM, but only if they actually want to be there. That goes for any person in any major. You can't force yourself to stay in a major to meet other's expectations because you will only be hurting yourself. College is about YOU. Don't be afraid to be a little bit selfish to ensure that you are happy with your future.

One thing I have realized that has made it hard to change my major is that my whole life, I have been taught that the things you love most are hobbies, not careers.

It sucks that we've all been pressured into thinking this because you should be able to enjoy your job. I know so many people who were surprised that I wasn't pursuing a degree in English or writing because I've always been so passionate about those things. Once I really thought about it, I knew it was because I was afraid that writing was just a hobby, not a viable career. The thing is, if you are really passionate about something, you can't let fear get in the way. You just have to go for it.

Use college to find what you're really passionate about. If you're already pursuing that, great job! If you're not, don't be afraid to change. Life can wait. Find what you love, and get out there and do it.