Changing Career Paths in College

Changing Career Paths in College

Switching majors in college can be challenging and daunting. It is a struggle that a student actively has to work to overcome.

60
Changing Career Paths in College

As a high school student it is daunting to decide at 18 years old what you want to do for the rest of your life. Many students do not know, which is much more common than one would expect. When students enter college as freshmen, if they are undecided they take classes in different subject to see what they have an affinity for. They often do not have to decide their major until the end of the year or the following year. However, along with any career comes the need for extracurriculars, clubs, and other activities outside the classroom. Students often start these freshman year and continue throughout their college years. Switching majors/career paths in college can be very difficult because of these extracurriculars. A student might be able to switch their major and graduate with a different degree, but this cannot make up for missed opportunities in the field they switched to. Students who switch career paths may also find it hard to adjust to their new major and the feeling of knowing a lot about a subject to knowing nothing at all. Furthermore adjusting to a completely new group of people in classes may be a struggle for students who have switched majors. It can be tough to be behind others who decided to stick with their major for all four years because one might feel like no matter what they do, they will always be behind. This is not the case, however, because life is not really a race and it is ok for people to reach their goals at different times. It may take a student who has switched their major more time to reach the same goals as someone who has not switched, but it is all a part of the process. Asking students to decide what they want to do for the rest of their adult lives at 18 is very premature and obviously leads to people switching their careers either in college or at a later point in life.