From The Girl Who Takes A Chandler Bing Approach To Thanksgiving
Thanksgiving

From The Girl Who Takes A Chandler BingĀ Approach To Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving? Doesn't exist to Chandler Bing and I.

296

I would like everyone to close their eyes and imagine watching season 1, episode 9 of "Friends" for the first time again. That moment when Chandler says he hates Thanksgiving. I know all of you were shook. Me? I was smiling. I agree with Chandler Bing, Thanksgiving is an irrelevant holiday for many reasons. Countdown to Thanksgiving? Nope.

Why is it all about the potatoes?

A lot of Thanksgiving dinners revolve around their famous mashed potatoes or apple mallow bake with sweet potatoes. Growing up I use to tell everyone I was allergic to potatoes, so I wouldn't have to eat them. People think I'm crazy, but I'm not the only one that doesn't like potatoes there are people out there. I'm a very picky eater.

Also, in a Thanksgiving dinner, there's cranberry sauce, stuffing, and green bean casserole, no thank you. All you'll see on my plate is some turkey, salad and bread. I can have that every day so why do I need to make a special day for it? I don't eat much on Thanksgiving so what's so great about it? Obviously not the food.

Football gets boring at times

All people do is sit down and watch football while eating. How about talking? It's supposed to be a family holiday so let's talk, not be hushed during the game. Trust me, I'm a football fan. I go to Alabama, of course, I like to watch football. But, it's not something that makes a holiday worthwhile. We watch football every Saturday and Sunday.

Most of the time it's the same teams that play on Thanksgiving every year. The Cowboys vs. Redskins really? How many times are we going to watch that game. A holiday should be more than just sitting around watching football. However, that's the only thing Chandler Bing liked about the holiday. Remember the episode when the gang played each other in the Geller Bowl?

It's only 33 days until Christmas

I'd rather spend my money on Christmas presents, decorations, eggnog and cookies instead of a Thanksgiving dinner that I don't want to eat. As soon as the parade is done I'm turning on a Christmas movie. The Hallmark channel is already playing them, so we should be watching them. Christmas has the most amazing movies. Thanksgiving? None.

At my sorority house, we already have our Christmas decorations up and it gives you this warm feeling when you see it. What decorations does Thanksgiving have? Some leaves, pinecones and pilgrims? Christmas has snow, Christmas trees, ornaments, and all the amazing things included. Christmas is my favorite time of the year. Let's just skip over Thanksgiving and go straight to Christmas!

The Macy's Day Parade

The parade is the only good thing about Thanksgiving. However, you barely see anything related to Thanksgiving. All the performers are singing Christmas songs. All the decorations are for Christmas. The only thing Thanksgiving we see is the pilgrim float. Even Santa Claus makes an appearance at the end. I get up on Thanksgiving just to watch the parade. We don't need Thanksgiving to have the parade, we can have it any other day. Let's be honest, it's a Christmas parade not a Thanksgiving one.

Be thankful everyday

We celebrate Thanksgiving to give thanks to all the important and special things in our life. However, live every day like it's your last. Meaning be thankful every day. There are so many things to be thankful for that only being thankful one day out of the year is dumb. Don't just be thankful for your family on Thanksgiving, you're around them every day, so be thankful every day.

This year I am thankful for my family, my amazing friends, my faith, getting a good education and being able to enjoy every day to the fullest. I don't need Thanksgiving to be thankful for those things though. We should be thankful every day because if we aren't then we aren't appreciating what we have.

I recognize that not everyone agrees with Chandler and I. Yes, Thanksgiving is a holiday, but not one we enjoy. I think that Thanksgiving has the potential of being a good holiday, but certain things make it unenjoyable for others. Thanksgiving is overall based on a good idea for the celebration, but the way most people portray it makes it seem like a useless holiday.