Chance the Rapper: The Man, The Myth, The Legend

Music is all he's got... and three Grammy's.
21

Chance the Rapper: the man, the myth, the legend. This music sensation has swept the nation, stealing the hearts of everyone and their mother. And with three Grammy's now under his belt (Best Rap Performance, Best New Artist, and Best Rap Album), we have even more reason to love him.

But what is it about Chance that makes him so irresistible?

First, he has done this whole "show business" thing without a record label. Last night, he became the first artist to win a Grammy without selling physical copies of his music-- or or selling much of his music at all. Why? Why wouldn't you sign with a company that's able to make you millions of dollars?

He gave a pretty good answer to this question in a recent Vanity Fair interview:

After I made my second mixtape and gave it away online, my plan was to sign with a label and figure out my music from there. But after meeting with the three major labels, I realized my strength was being able to offer my best work to people without any limit on it.

I make money from touring and selling merchandise, and I honestly believe if you put effort into something and you execute properly, you don’t necessarily have to go through the traditional ways.

Not signing also has given him more freedom in collaborating with other artists and the opportunity to build a more authentic fan base. He's doing all of this on his own: what is there not to admire about that?

Not only is Chance killing the game in the music industry, but he also has one of the most authentic, well-respected faiths in the business. His new album, "Coloring Book," is being viewed as a new "Gospel sensation." Chance said in an interview on Beats 1 Radio, "That’s the whole process of this thing, it’s like putting God back in our hands in everyday life.”

Upon winning one of his three Grammy's, Chance yelled, "I claim the victory in the name of the Lord." He's not pushy. He's not aggressive. He simply shares his love for the Lord in a genuine way that only deserves respect. In his song "Blessings," he exclaims, "Don't be mad" when stating He's going to praise the Lord "'til he's gone."

Chance the Rapper has given the world no option but to respect him and his accomplishments. The artist is talented, genuine, and well deserving of his three Grammy's. His Spotify streams have increased over 200% after last night, and I think he can only go up from here.

Let's give it up for the man who's changing the music industry right before our eyes. Yes, he killed the game at the Grammy's, but he's not going to stop there. Don't sleep on Chance the Rapper; music is all he's got, and he's not done with it yet.