If Given The Chance, I'd Choose Cedar Crest All Over Again

There's nothing more thrilling than being a member of the Falcon Family!

25
Thomas Grim

Four years ago, I was sitting in my room with brochures all over the place trying to find the place I’d call home for the next few years. It wasn’t easy. There were so many choices and so many great programs, how was I supposed to pick just one? Although daunting, I was finally able to choose my new home for the next four years and as I get ready to graduate, there’s nothing I would change. I’m glad that I chose Cedar Crest and given the chance I’d do it a million times over. For me, Cedar Crest was more than just a college that I chose. I was able to create friendships that would last a lifetime. I met so many great people and I’ve got to do so many awesome things. If I had to choose, here’s the top things I love most about being a Falcon.

It’s one big family.

I know it sounds lame, but everyone at Cedar Crest is like a family. We all support each other in everything we do. From the first moment I received an email and phone call from my admissions counselor, I felt the family atmosphere really come to life. Each day, I fall more in love with the family feel of the college and I know that I have a great family for life.

The professors go above and beyond.

Not to brag, but I’ve had some of the best professors around. Not only have they taken the time to teach me in the walls of the classroom, they’ve all gotten to know me outside the classroom. They know about my life beyond school, offer me an ear to listen and even give me advice when I need. I’ve created relationships with some of them that will last me a lifetime and I know that I’ll always have their support in my life.

The Crestiad.

Through being at Cedar Crest I’ve seen the paper in so many forms. Nonexistent, to a version that lasted a little to literally rebranding the entire paper. I’ve gotten to work with an incredible staff to turn the paper into something that can represent the college in a tremendous way. Being a part of something so large, that’s going to have a history with the college for years is one of the most humbling experiences I’ve ever had. I’ve created friendships with so many talented women, that I’ll never actually know.

They teach you to follow your dreams and never give up.

I’ve changed my major so many times that it wouldn’t be hard to grow discouraged and feel like I should give up. But through the relationships that I’ve made, I’ve learned how to be the best version of me possible. I learned that it’s okay to not know what you want to do with your life, and it’s okay to change your mind. College is the time to discover what you want to do and as long as you know you have the support, you can move mountains. Never give up your dream to please anyone else.

The friendships I’ve created are lifelong.

Let’s be honest, I’ve met so many people along the way (four years is a long time) and some have stuck in my life while others have not. I’ve always thought that those that I’ve been friends with in the beginning would be by my side when graduation came. But guess what? They won’t be and I’m okay with that. I never really believed people when they said that the friends you make in college are going to be the ones by your side forever. Looking back, I realize that it’s true. The friends by my side right now, are the type of people I want to be in my life forever. I’ve met some of the strongest women in the world and I can’t wait to see where life takes them. Without Cedar Crest, I wouldn’t have been able to meet some of the greatest friends in the world.

So take it from a senior, finding a college that you love is only part of it! Be sure to love the college you are at because it’ll make all the difference. To truly find the good things in the college is going to help make your experience that much better. But most importantly, make the memories you can at the school. It’s going to go by way too fast (I swear, we just walked in the Open Door Ceremony!)