My Two Cents On Valentine's Day

My Two Cents On Valentine's Day

BAH-HUMBUG! If there's any perfect day to say that... it ain't Christmas.

16
My Two Cents On Valentine's Day
Lita Lane

I know I said I "go crazy" during the winter holiday season, and chocolates, sweets and all that. But this post is actually going to be rather cynical in nature.

Most of all remember our childhood memories of Valentines Day. Buying all the treats and cards for our classmates, decorating boxes or bags (in my case, bags) and have other students put their treats in your box while do the same vice versa.

To me, it was essentially "February Christmas", if one actually takes the time to observe and think about it. As a child, it added to the wonderful winter holiday season. However, as we grow up, that image changes. I find it, rather heartbreaking in experience.

From bags or boxes of candies and treats, it turns into flowers, dinner dates, alcohol, sex, presents and the real sexual nature of Valentines Day starts to get more and more exposed as we grow older.

When one gets to middle school, high school and then to college and other post-high school education, those classroom parties disappear and becomes but a faint memory.

Then, and only then will you appreciate those old days, because now, living under a judgmental society, you are "pressured" to be in a relationship, and those in relationships will then make you feel like you're lonely if you're not. Nobody will fend for you, or give you a box or bag full of treats. You're an island at that point.

One part of it is understandable, it's just a "life moves on" type deal.

I will also say this too, on a darker note, as a society, we've gotten more and more sexual, to where things that would have been considered inappropriate (and should rather still be) when I was a young child, is now "acceptable". I'm not gonna get into that here.

Therefore this is how I see Valentines Day: it's a fraud. It's a day that comes and goes for me.

Not to be a Scrooge about this, but even MANY couples look down on Valentines Day, just like MANY Christians look down on Christmas. My older sister deals with lots of couples who share cynical views about Valentines Day as I do.

Yeah, I know - that's rather contrary what the stuff I've posted about the winter holidays. But out of all them, Valentines Day is my least favorite.

But hey, "love" isn't something that has to be sexual or crude in nature. That is exactly how Valentines Day has been for me in the past. My nuclear family just gets together for a nice meal.

I'm not necessarily in a position "yet", to be engaging in the explicit nature of Valentines Day, what Evangelicals would call "worldly", though I am not an Evangelical and neither do I agree with their teachings, but just a terminology.

Why call it a "February Christmas"? Well again, there's gift-giving, at least for those couples celebrating that more sexual nature of the holiday. Then at least for the children, there's the cookie-decorating.

Then oh yeah, there's all those sales at all these retail businesses. Sounds a LOT like another Christmas in February to me.

For those who feel lonely.......

Here are some ideas for Valentines Day, for those not in a relationship. Firstly, I'd like y'all to know, that just because you're not in a relationship, it does NOT and I repeat NOT make you a bad person.

Turn off the television, because all of these soap operas and sitcoms portraying Valentines Day as a day where 300 million out of 300 million Americans are apparently having a great time with their partners, while you, 1 out of 300 million-some Americans are apparently alone.

You know, if there's anything to learn about mainstream media and entertainment, is that its goal to suck people in, and drive negative feelings among people, while making money out of it.

It goes beyond just politics. Mainstream media has always been an enemy of reality and peaceful living - in nearly ALL walks of life. Sorry, that's just the truth.

The truth is, there are MANY just like you, and for them, Valentines Day comes and goes like any other day. Heck, remember in my last post, for approximately 27 million Christians, throughout the world, Christmas comes and goes just like any other day.

Secondly, if you still feel lonely, go out with a friend, and enjoy the day. If you're easily triggered by sights of those couples having "smoochy" time, then I'd probably avoid places like parks and movie theaters.

Go simple, like go out for Chinese, I haven't heard of a couple raving about smooching in a Chinese restaurant, unless it was such a high-class fancy Chinese place.

Remember, go simple with the restaurant choice. Because likely, all the high-end restaurants are going to be jam-packed.

Now, if you're REALLY movie-savvy and wanna go to the theaters, then go watch a horror film, or a film where smoochy-time wouldn't likely make any sense.

If you're religious, spend your time performing church services (if available and/or applicable), or mosque services, or whatever faith you belong to. Heck, if a church was hosting some sort of charity event, count me in.

Another good idea would be to relive those classroom party memories, and combine this with making Valentines Day like a "Mini Christmas in February". Invite friends, or even family over, and decorate bags or boxes with your name on 'em, and have everyone put treats or little gifts in 'em!

Obviously since we're no longer bound by classroom rules, make it as creative as possible! If children are around, remember - avoid making it sexual or explicit. Gift ideas would be things like money, gifts cards, or even just candies, sweets and little cards - it's a gift exchange, once more....Mini Christmas in February. A fun little get-together, but no need to make anything over-extravagant.

For the kids, have a cookie-decorating activity, and if you live in an area with snow, do some winter activities like sledding or making snowmen and make some hot beverages like hot chocolate.

Or......

You can do nothing, which....is completely fine.

But you know what?

For a chocolate and sweets addict like myself.....the real "holiday" comes on February 15, when all the Valentines Day stuff goes on clearance, meaning MORE chocolate, MORE sweets....for half the price!

Basically, when all of the Valentines Day stuff goes, that pretty much concludes Sweets Season, as we head into the dreaded spring season (yes...spring is a season that I personally can't stand).

Well Sweets Season, since may be gone by the time I submit my next article I'll say this now, farewell....and see you in November 2017!