Super-Fast Celebrity Engagements Are Just Publicity Stunts

Dear Celebrities, Getting Engaged After Dating For Mere Months Isn't Love, It's A Publicity Stunt

Don't pretend that your relationship is anything but an Instagram post.

83
https://www.instagram.com/arianagrande/?hl=en

This is something I've been thinking about for a while. Recently, celebrities have been getting engaged in droves. Ariana Grande and Pete Davidson, Justin Bieber and Hailey Baldwin, and Nick Jonas and Priyanka Chopra all have announced their engagements within the last few months. And all of these engagements have something in common: these couples have only been dating for a few months.

Now, I think that if someone is in love, nothing can change that. I'm not going to stand here and say that people need to date for four or more years before they decide to tie the knot. That's not my place, and I also don't really believe that. What I'm trying to say, is that I don't think celebrities are actually in love. I think that they just want more attention. Which is exactly what they are getting.

When Ariana Grande announced her engagement to Pete Davidson after being together for a little over a month, social media went wild. The same happened when Justin Bieber and Hailey Baldwin posted their engagement on social media after being together for around three months. Nick Jonas and Priyanka Chopra quickly followed after their two-year "romance." All of these couples got (and continue to get) extreme media coverage of their engagements, further adding to their fame.

Now, I wouldn't be making this article at all, but last night I was scrolling through Twitter and saw that Ellie Goulding got engaged last night, and her engagement was announced in a newspaper (which is honestly adorable) and not blasted all over her social media. When I started looking into her relationship with her fiancé Caspar Jopling, I saw that they have been together for over a year. And I thought, "That is how a relationship should work. That is enough time to know a person." And I think that Ellie Goulding and Caspar Jopling are actually in love.

Ellie and Caspar's relationship was something that I didn't know about, but after doing research, it's the kind of relationship that I can stand behind. They aren't spending all of their time coming up with Instagram captions and cutesy posts for Twitter. They are real people and they're not trying to flaunt their relationship status. They aren't concerned with getting attention like some of the other stars are. They value themselves and not their popularity.

Now, this is all my opinion. But all of this is to say that celebrities are all just popularity-junkies looking for their next fix, and getting engaged is doing that for them. Grande and Davidson's, Bieber and Baldwin's, and Jonas and Chapra's relationships aren't going to last, but I think Goulding and Jopling's will. And I think that directly correlates to how well they know a person.