Celebrating The Small Victories In Life Is SO Important

I have chosen to celebrate the small victories along my journey, rather than to focus on the goals that I have not yet accomplished.
166

Twenty-Three, Recent Purdue Alumni, Wife.
I am living in a beautiful home with my husband and our dog, working my dream job, and making enough money to pay the bills and still travel the world.

According to the unrealistic expectations that society has set for someone with my demographics, these statements should be true. But I am here to tell you that they are the furthest from the truth, and I refuse to be ashamed of that.

The harsh reality of the world we live in today is that it is not easy. Our parents always taught us that we had to go to college in order to get better jobs and more opportunities than what they had as they entered into adulthood.

Yet, here I am with my Bachelor of Arts, five months post-graduation, without my dream job in sight. Jobs in my field are scarce and money is tight, but I am the happiest that I have ever been in my life.

Twenty-Three. When I say it out loud I think, “When did that happen? I’m so old.” But in hindsight, I’m the youngest that I’ll ever be and I have many years ahead to ensure that I accomplish all of the goals I have set for myself, and for my family.

At the age of 23, I have traveled throughout 5 different countries, graduated from college, fallen in love and married my high school sweetheart. I’ve seen places and found love that most people only dream about.

Some days are harder than others, and we are our own worst critics.

Celebrating the small victories along your journey is something that you should never be ashamed of, and something you should never apologize for. No matter the transition into the ‘real world,’ it is never an easy one.

All good things come to those who wait, and that’s something that we should always remind ourselves of. Even if your victory means putting on a cute outfit and going to the grocery store on a rainy Tuesday afternoon; celebrate it, damn it.

Never apologize for who you are, always celebrate your victories (no matter how small), and never lose sight of what’s important to you.