10 Ways To Enjoy The Holidays With Your Roommates

Because they're basically family now!

19

The holiday season is the time of year where college students start really missing their families, they get stressed about finals, and the weather makes them extra tired and cranky. They might even miss out on some family traditions while being cooped up in their dorm or apartment studying. But if they're lucky, their roommates now feel like family. There are plenty of ways to bring holiday cheer to your college family, regardless of when you get to go home to your actual family.

1. Friendsgiving

Unsplash

Friendsgiving is a great way to show your roomies how thankful you are for them. Cook a nice meal and spend quality time together. It's a nice little break from all the stress of assignments that pile up this time of year.

2. Put a tree up together

Unsplash

Whether it's a dinky Charlie Brown tree in your dorm or a nice one in your living room, put up a tree. Crank up the Christmas music and decorate it. Make ornaments and string popcorn. Make a whole night of it. Just looking at a tree is a good reminder of the amazing feelings of the season.

3. Christmas movie marathon

Freeform / Instagram

Each roommate should pick a favorite Christmas movie, or six, and then sit and watch them all. Cuddle up with blankets and tons of hot chocolate. Then bond and talk about memories of your favorite Christmases.

4. Bake lots of cookies

So many of people's favorite holiday memories revolve around cookies and all the years of perfecting recipes. Everybody loves the fun that comes with baking and eating their favorite treats. No matter how simple the cookies are, it's still some of the most fun you can have!

5. Decorate together

Gather some things to make decorations, thrift shop, and check out dollar stores to find things that will make your home feel more like a home. It's so easy and it's such a good way to spend time with the people you live with. It helps your roommates become family.

6. Fill up stockings for each other

Flickr Creative Commons

Pick out stockings, Dollar Tree has awesome ones, and throughout the month you can all fill them up for each other. It's a quick and affordable way to let your roommates know they're always being thought of. Plus, they make for cute decorations. Another element of fun is decorating them together and customizing them so they're extra special.

7. Secret Santa

Unsplash

If there are enough roommates then a Secret Santa is the best way to exchange gifts on a college budget. You get to pick something special for someone without them knowing.

8. White Elephant gift exchange

Unsplash

White Elephant is like Secret Santa where you only provide one gift, which is great. It's just less personal. It's a fun thing to do with a group and it's a lighthearted gift exchange. There's no pressure either.

9. Build a gingerbread house

Is it even Christmas time without struggling over a gingerbread house that will inevitably fall apart? Absolutely not! So grab your friends and struggle with something that won't be graded. It's a good kind of stress!

10. Wear matching Pjs

Flickr Creative Commons

Matching pajamas are the perfect addition to any holiday festivity. You'll never feel closer to your friends than when you have on the same outfits.