Comic Review: Catwoman Election Night #1

This comic is hitting a sore spot just at the right time.

10
DC Comics

It's election time, and not just in America at the moment.

It seems Gotham is faced with the tough decisions that many Americans are facing at this very time. The Penguin is running for mayor, with political correctness being damned, grumpy face, and woman hating all in tow in his campaign. Sounds familiar... Catwoman is tasked with trying to stop Penguin from becoming mayor, in which he is leading in polls, and allow Constance Hill to get the spot...only to find that not everything is as it seems.

The terrifying similarities between this comic and real life ring way too true for me in this extremely trying time. Penguin, obviously a stand-in for "The Donald", is a hilarious comic relief at times, mentioning walls, political correctness, and how woman lack stamina for a job was particularly giggle-worthy seeing The Penguin say this all instead of an orange man on CNN, but is also a gruesome realization to see that this comic, a work of fiction, is more like a biography at times.

Catwoman represents the American people here, fighting her way for justice and seeing how both candidates are just not what the people of Gotham deserve. She is a long way from her strictly criminal past and is showing herself to be one of the great anti-heroes of the DC universe.While the comic is perfect with its social commentary of the time, seriously if you need some "comic" relief (see what I did there) during this time of serious devastation this is the book for you, it also has other parts of it that are just too good to pass up on.

The drawings for the comic are up to par with the latest creations DC has been coming out with, which are all equally gold, and it gives a visual sense of delight for those catching up with the new story lines. The backstory as well for our anti-heroine is impressive as well, really driving the emotional intent of the story. Catwoman is long past her days of simply stealing statues and being a sex symbol, she is the hero she may not feel she is but one we deserve none the less. This comic really shows she may be the perfect female counterpart to the Dark Knight, and showing why they make such a great pair.

Side Note: It was great seeing the Bats in as small a role as possible in this comic, essentially serving as a sidekick and proving that Catwoman can do this all on her own. It's enjoyable to see them work together, and not just as a couple.

All in all, the comic is a masterpiece, especially during this time. The social commentary of the book really packs an emotional wallop and gives a sense of a relaxing breath as we in the real world try to come to terms with what is happening around us.

Just remember kiddies, get out and vote ...so "Penguin" doesn't rule the streets of Gotham anymore.

Rating: 9/10